IT'S ALIVE !

Fintan Murphy

I have found that there are now four milestones on the project, with the last one, putting her in the water, to go.

The first is when you go 3-D. Suddenly it looks like a structure rather than a flat collection of wooden bits.

The second is when you paint it. Now it looks like a unified whole, even a boat. All the mistakes, the bits of epoxy, the different colours of ply, the round circles where holes were filled, all go away, to be replaced with a shiny paint job.

The third happened two days ago. I was rigging the blocks and trying to untangle the lines while I set up the gaff and boom, as well as lazy jacks and the jib and staysail halyards. The wind was blowing from behind the boat (abaft :lol: ) so I hadn't laced on the mainsail yet.

"Feck it", I said, let's put up the jib and see what happens. So I tied on the jib halyard on to the furled jib, raised it and tied on a jib sheet to the clew. I unfurled the sail and my boat took her first breath :!: .

I don't want to be overly dramatic, but that's what it felt like. The jib filled and steadied. The starbord sheet snapped taut ,and I heard the mast creak.

I felt like Dr. Frankenstein and wanted to step back and exclaim "IT'S ALIVE".

Those of you who have passed this milestone will probably grin and remember. Those of you who have yet to reach it, what delights are in store for you. :P

I have experienced the first two. It makes you where you can't keep your eyes off it. I've had to go and "check on the boat" after hours just to get another look. I guess it is called pride :) maybe disbelief :) And if the next two are anything close to that..... well now, I'm in for a treat. I have two more coats of paint on the top side, and then its rigging time. :) So you raised the sail off the water huh. I know how bad I am going to want to do that, but we live on a hill and I could just see the boat going sailing down the driveway :) What is your launch date?

I'm sneaking up on #2. I'm finishing up all of the little things (portholes, splash coamings, rudder) today so I can flip the boat to sand and fillet the keel. As soon as thats done, I can fiberglass and paint! It's not soon enough... it's been almost a year since I started this project.

Tom

Fintan,

Soooo well said my friend!! Having just gone through that a couple weeks back, I remember it vividly. It's like the boat suddenly realizes her purpose. The wind pulls at her sails and she wakes up and says "Oh, that's why I'm here!" "Let's go!"

So, what did you tell her, Fintan? I know you talked to her. :)

I read an article a while back in WoodenBoat about a rebuild of a burned out sloop (can't remember the name at the moment) and one of the guys at the boatyard told the owner during a visit that they talked to her. They knew that the owner talked to her and this guy would tell her it was going to be alright, she'd be good as new. Good stuff.....

JMetzner,

I didn't talk to her, but I did pat her sides a few times. :D

Tomstock,

only a year, this is my fourth year building her. "four years into a six month project" is how I describe it"

Jan,

my launch date, now there's a question. :roll: Hopefully this month, and if not, then definitely next month. It all depends on the trailer maker. You know the expression "Good, Cheap, Quick - pick any two of the above", well, I got one of them, he is good, but he ain't cheap, and he certainly ain't Quick.

Boy do I remember that day! I've even got a picture of it. Same deal, I got most of the rigging up and just HAD to put up the jib. Wind was from the port beam and so the jib filled to a nice beam reach. Didn't even have the clubfoot done so I sheeted off the the starboard chainplate. Thought I was gonna bust I was so happy!

Russ