Videos from launch day

JMetzner

Capt Jake, et. al.

I fixed the link to the 4th video above. The correct link is:

people.arsc.edu/~jlm/AsYouWish/AsYouWish.wmv

Mark G., I spoke briefly with Doreen tonight, I'll bring the laptop with all the video on it the next time I'm out to the lake. I have a lousy dial-up connection at home too :(

--John M.

Fairbanks, AK

I got them all...with audio...

Pretty darn cool...so nice to see "action" film of the boats and the people...

I am hoping to make a few videos this summer and do the same type of thing (small clips for friends)..

I was wondering what you use for software, for the basic stuff, like you have shown, just to produce some .wmv files, that look ok. My own computer won't handle it but, my brother already has a firewire set-up. We have this weekend (3 days), in which I want to test out the camera (Canon Zr65) on board and just see what we end up with. We have an unconfirmed date to deliver a Hunter 466 up from Connecticut to Maine sometime next month and I thought it would be fun to make a film of it. I don't plan on getting into it to heavy, just something easy to use and edit with....

any basic thoughts you have would be of help....

thanks...

Bill

Bill,

I was pleasantly surprised to see how easy it was to make the clips. I borrowed the camera from work, a Canon GL1. It had a 1394 (firewire?) port and cables for digital transfer. The manual didn't say anything about connecting the camera to a computer but since I had a 1394 port on my laptop at work I gave it a try. With the camera powered up and in VCR mode I plugged it into my laptop running WinXP Home. Windows detected it, loaded the driver and pulled up Windows Movie Maker. With just a little experimenting, I was pulling off clips from the camera, using the controls in Movie Maker to play, pause, rewind, whatever. A real piece o' cake. There were a whole lot more features available in the software that I didn't touch.

I don't know how other versions of Windows would work. This was the first time I'd tried this, but it won't be the last. I'm not a Micro$oft fan, I'm a Unix geek for a living, but this they did right.

--John M.

Fairbanks, AK

I've used both windows xp and Mac osX for movie editing, and both are pretty functional. Considering that both had the basic tools included (moviemaker for windows and Imovie for the mac) as part of the basic os package, it was worth the price paid (free!). I have a Canon powershot G2 difital camera that can take up to 30 seconds of video. I found out that it is entirely possible to create a viable movie using takes less than 30 seconds long ;-)

One of the better features of Imovie is that it has a built in "Ken Burns effect". That's when you have a still picture and can pan across it and zoom at the same time. It makes slide shows or still images more interesting. Windows can do this in "photostory" - but the free version can only do 5 pics at a time, and you have to export it as a movie and then import it into moviemaker. There are 3rd party plugins that will do that but they co$t. The other thing is that Imovie seems to handle trimming "clips" better than moviemaker. But might just be a personal preference.

Peace,

Roland