Launching Day!!

JMetzner

One day under 2 years and I'm on the water with As You Wish. Many thanks to Mark and Doreen and Mike and Joan for all the hospitality and a very enjoyable day on (and off) the lake today! Winds were light, which was probably a very good thing since I'd never sailed a boat before. The smoke from all the forest fires had thinned a bit, we could almost see the far side of the lake for a while. I now understand the term "da*%$% jetskiers".

I think As You Wish now qualifies as the Northernmost Weekender :D

Thanks again guys and to all those on the list who also helped me get to this goal!

I'll see if I can get some of the digital video posted (once I figure out how to download it).

The Fairbanks Fleet below, Aurora Wolf, Flyer, As You Wish and Swimmer.

--John M.

Fairbanks, Alaska

[attachment over 4 years old deleted by admin]

Here is more proof that these waters ain't safe no more for water rats.

You can't see Mark up forward in the cabin, but he's up there keep'en the bow down. And his brother Steve, is fly'en the Stars and Stripes as a TOP GALLANT :roll: I can't win fair like against them odds :lol:

The%20Flyer.JPG?dc=4675479122304797985

Man! Am I dumb, I just realized that John's wife Cheri is at the wheel and John must be up forward TOO! What happened to I can't get the wife in the boat? :wink:

I couldn't believe it when I heard my wife Joan yelling over to Mark to let out on his jib sheet :roll:

Conspiracy!

I think this was probably one of the best sailing days I have ever had. And we're going to do it again in the morning folks.

When your sailing, life only gets better.

Great pictures Mike! And a pretty good looking fleet up there as well. Mike Stevenson has to take note of the collection of Stevenson Project's boats there ... is that a record for that many different models in the same pic?

The flag from the gaff sure looks great ... that's how they should be flown on a gaffer.

That's three different types, right? We've had a lot of shots with three of our different designs, but never four or more to my knowledge. I suspect this late-July will beat that at the Mega-Mess.

You Alaskans are still way cool anyway, and you certainly have the most northerly fleet. (unless there are some lurking Scandinavians we haven't heard from?)

Mike