Mini Cup

nae0254

They used to be called Mini-12's or something like that. We actually have one at my uncle's which has no rig. The hull is nice, deep and full, but nice. The deck is pretty well detailed. I don't know what the rig was like: accurate or practical (probably could be set up either way.)

Mike

Ray,

The boat you saw was most likely a 2.4 meter. They are 13' 8" long, 2' 8" beam, 3' 3" draft with 81 sq ft of sail area. The skipper sits in the boat facing forward, steers with rudder pedals and all of the lines come to the front of the cockpit where he can use them to sail.

It appears they have a very strong international racing organization. Gavia Yachts sells them at http://www.gaviayachts.com/ The US Class Association can be found at http://www.us24meter.org/

Pretty cool looking boats. They have a lot of pictures on the class site.

Steve

Wow!

I just checked out both of the sites listed for the Harken 2.4m. Despite the differences (lead ballast and draft, specifically) I think that is what minicup builders envision for their crafts, at least I know I do. Sleek, fast, loads of fun to learn to sail...these are the adjectives I like to use with my minicup!

After a couple of times out, I notice my 'cup is easiest to sail when sitting on the deck. However, when the wind has died down and I am relaxing, I do sit down in the cockpit. Being only 5'7" tall, it is comfortable for me to sit in. However in order to steer, I must face backward and use my feet while looking over my shoulder to see where I am. Since this is done in low or basically no wind conditions, it isn't a problem. All that being said, the ability to design a cockpit where I could comfortably face forward and sail in a variety of conditions as they do in the 2.4s would be optimum.

I am sure if I sat down and drew it out I could come up with a configuration for rudder pedals and blocks to easily handle the lines, but does anyone have a picture or diagram of how the Harken cockpit is laid out?

Guillermo,

How about an update on the mini-cup progress. I just started one. I have ordered screws, and a few tools. Bought 4 sheets of ACX plywood but I have to travel to get the rest of the plywood. I am thinking of using Okume on the deck and finishing it bright, just the deck, well and maybe the transom. I have lots of oak so I will use it where ever I can for the stringers and rudder and daggerboard. I think the aluminum tubing will be the hardest thing to find. Probably will end up shortening my irrigation line in the field.

• 3 weeks later...

Boy you are moving right along. Looks real good. I have mine all cut out, the bottom joined together and am putting stringers on the bulkheads, cockpit sides etc. I am waiting for my epoxy to get here to put the stringers on the bottom and deck. I have to scarf the stringers together to get ones long enough for that. So far it's been fun. The hardest part has been getting myself started.

Did you have any trouble getting the bottom on where you have to cut it in thr front and pull it together?

Andrew:

Your step by step instructions, your pictures dealing with 30km/hr winds or sailing with your little kid Trueman are very inspirating

I advise all those who want to build a Mini Cup to take a look at:

http://www.floatingbear.ca/

Another essential site is Kris Nicholas' http://mywebpages.comcast.net/krisnicholas1/minicup/index.html