On the trailer

JMetzner

Last Saturday I wrestled As You Wish onto it's trailer. Boy, was that an

adventure by myself. I started by backing up the trailer to the garage

and putting the truck jack under the boat dolly. Jacking it all the way

up got it real close to the right height. From there it was a matter of

using the trailer winch for tension and lifting the bow to scoot her onto

the trailer. It took me about 3 hrs. of inching it along, but I got her there.

I took pictures all along the way but unfortunately I had the camera on the

macro zoom setting so the focus was majorly hosed. Attached is one that

DID come out well.

I might just make the July 4 launch date. I have the rigging hardware and

the mast hoops are lashed to the sail. The bowsprit, front hatch, bits and

chocks are in place. It's getting close.

--John M.

Fairbanks, Alaska

[attachment over 4 years old deleted by admin]

Yep, yep, yep, I really feel like I'm on a roll. This evening I got the mast mounted to the tabernacle and raised the mast. WOOHOO! It looks like a sailboat now. I'll launch without cockpit coamings. I blew one out when trying the first install. After looking at a few boats at the messabout in Minneapolis, I think I'll make full length coamings with the aft half just one level high, ~3/4 of an inch.

Hopefully tomorrow evening, whoops I work tomorrow evening, anyway the next step is to mount the gooseneck and boom, then the standing rigging.

--John M.

Fairbanks, Alaska

Great going, the folks on Harding Lake will think they have been invaded by gaff rigs.

I put the Wolf on the lake this morning, felt good. Then went home and got the drift boat for good measure. The land lady is going to be impressed, it is the first time in three years that there hasn't been a boat in the yard. :roll:

See you all on the lake,

Mike

Hey John, it is looking good! :)

If I may be so brave, I ran into a problem getting my boat back on the trailer once launched. It wold have helped me a bunch had I either lowered the bow eye or raised the winch. You really need the force of the winch to pull forward; not down as it appears you have (which is what I have also).

Just a thought before you go to retrieve it. ;)

Capt'n Jake,

Yep, yep, yep, I've been pondering that one. I've moved the winch as

far up as it'll go. There's a few options, I guess.

- Lower the roller under the stem/keel. If I do that the aft end of the

keel comes up off the cross member. May not be a big deal when I

add the 2nd set of bunks inboard near the keel. The other side affect

would be water gathering against the main bulkhead.

- Redrill the stem.

- Get an extention fabricated for the trailer winch to line up with the

current hole.

Any others?

Thanks,

John M.

Fairbanks, AK

Redrill the stem.

- Get an extention fabricated for the trailer winch to line up with the

current hole

either or?? I am in the same pondery at present. I have the added unfortunate that I installed a dolphin striker; which limits the ability of the winch even further. I may have to remove it (but it looks too cool!). :)

How about another stantion further forward with only the winch? That is what I have been thinking about........ further forward will reduce the angle, give more leverage, and heck just causes more work (or thought) :)

John

On Sanddragon I put an eye that is just below the waterline to give a straight pull on the boat for loading. I had help last fall and the guy hooked it it to the upper hook. When I pulled the boat out of the water the rear of the boat was about a foot in the air. The only way to unhook it was to put the boat back in the water and hook it on the right eye.

John, it appears that our trailers are quite similar. At the landing at Harding Lake I just back mine in deep enough to float it on.

We do plan trailer modifications planned for The Flyer though. We'll be able to line up the two rigs side by side and swap ideas.

See you at the lake.

Oh, we are expecting a prior announcement as to day and time. It seem only fitting that the rest of the Harding Lake fleet be on hand with colors flying for your launch.

I'm on the lake and waiting 8) Sailing has been great the past few days. I sunk a mooring base this afternoon so I can feel comfortable about leaving the boat overnight. One hundred and eighty pounds of concrete ought to do the job.

I am really looking forward to seeing all our boats together. I guess this will be the first Alaskan mess-about for us.

P6230045.JPG?dc=4675477774651084723

John

I used an eye like they use for a tiedown on a pickup attached to just a 3/8" lag screw. The screw was lag on one end on the other end it was machine screw and it works well. I have loaded the boat from the lawn a couple of times and had no problem with it pulling out.

Pat,

Excellent! Having the screw pull out was what I was most concerned

about. If your Weekender can be loaded from the lawn without it pulling

out, there will be no problem from the water.

With the screw being below the water line, did you set it in with epoxy?

Are you having any problem with water in the screw hole?

--John M.

Fairbanks, AK

John

I mounted it in 3M 5200. It should last forever but who knows. I have only had the boat done for almost a year. There is no sign of any rust forming so far. If it does develop I will have to figgure a way to fix it. After building the boat it is nice to not worry weather you can fix it when things go bad.