Tarp? What's a plastic tarp?

nae0254

Hi!

My name is Guillermo and I live in Argentina (speak spanish).

When I took my first sailing lessons, I had to learn many "nautical" new words.

Now, since I'm subscribed in the list, I need the translation of these new words, No problem, what are dictionaries for?

I also found a site with translations spanish-english english-spanish in http://www.uniovi.es/marina/utils/diccionario/spa.htm if you are interested.

But some words doesn't appear neither in this site, nor in my Oxford Dictionary!

You are using a plastic tarp for the sails, what is a tarp? is a film like the one used in plastic bags? is like a clothe? Someone can tell me what is a tarp or what is the original use of it?

Thanks in advance!

Guillermo

Hi Guillermo! Welcome to the site.

The plastic tarps people use are called "poly tarp" here in the US. They are made of polyethylene plastic that sometimes has a woven appearance, so it looks like it is made of thin strips of the material. They are inexpensive here, and that's why people like to make sails out of them. For about $20US, you can get a good sized polytarp cut a sail out of it ... but it is usually silver or tan colored. If you want heavier material, and in white. places like Polysail have economical kits with everything you need to make the sail.

We also have an article on alternative sail materials here at http://www.messing-about.com/weekender/sails.html

Guillermo, it might be helpful to know that tarp is short for tarpaulin. Webster says a tarpaulin is 1 : a piece of material (as durable plastic) used for protecting exposed objects or areas.

I like http://babelfish.altavista.com/babelfish/tr as a translator. It translated tarpaulin as encerado. I'm trying to learn spanish, but don't know if that is a good transation or not. Bablefish translated the above meaning to: un pedazo de material (como pl

Thank you! :P

Your explanations are very helpful.

I made some phone calls asking for a light material like clothe but made in plastic.

They told me there are some material used in protecting exposed areas, tends, etc., called "lona de pvc" something like "PVC canvas".

Tomorrow I will try to learn more about this.

And Phill, If you are trying to learn spanish, I would like to help in what I can.

Guillermo

Don't even think I forgot this topic!

But I was so busy (work).

Finally I found the best material, it is called "raffia de polietileno", it's white, has a woven appearance an some people use it in making windcar's SAILS!

And it's very inexpensive

Good enough for me, problem was solved

What a curious thing, in my research i found a material called "trapaulin" a trade mark from Uruguay for a plastic tarp. Trapaulin like tarpaulin, thank you for translations, Phil