CS17 Electric trolling motor well.

I know there was a thread about this some time back, but I can't find it and I don't remember anybody doing it with a CS. Graham posted some really cool pics of wells in some other boats he's designed.

Here's what I'm wondering, and you all should feel free to tell me if I'm making a rookie faux pas for thinking it.

Could I build a well near the centerboard trunk that allows me to install an electric trolling motor? I would make a plug: one side would be flat and match the line of the boat. Flip in over and that would be the side with the motor and prop attached. I'd have to work out all sorts of fastening\ sealling issues, and a pump to clear the well out after the rotation. I'd run the forward/backward/ off/on controls to toggle switches near the transom.

To me this all sound really slick, but since I've never seen anybody else do it, I suspect either it is technically really difficult, or simply impractical. I bet real sailors don't mind a trolling motor just hangin' off the transom.

Hi Scott,

I'm also building a CS17 and thinking about the power thing. The flip-it-over arrangement sounds pretty slick. I saw one trolling motor in a well on a sailboat called a Martin 16 (look for it on the web) where the motor slides down within the motor well when you want to use it. When the motor is in the down position and being used it is contained in a sort of open-ended box. when the motor is slid up out of the way the bottom of the box is flush with the bottom of the hull. If you arrange something like that and put the motor somewhere that the bottom is near the waterline (just ahead of the transom?) you might not have to worry about pumping water out of the well because there really won't be much. Be careful about changing the center of bouyancy, etc. though.

I plan to use either a small (2hp) outboard, a homebuilt electric outboard (built on a scavenged lower unit), or a trolling motor. For any of those 3 things I think I'll just hang the motor on the transom when I need it and store it somewhere (aft of the forward bulkhead) when I don't need it. My reasons for going with such a low power motor are that I want the motor to be light enough to mount/dismount fairly conveniently and I really don't feel the need to plane (when not sailing :) ).

It's also possible to put an unobtrusive trolling motor mount on the rudder. I might do something like that.

Keep us updated as to what you decide to do. I might have to steal your design :)

I'm going with the same idea for power; a little is all I need, I think. It does seem that there should be a slick way to do it. Trouble is, I haven't seen anybody else on the forum showing pictures, and these guys are actual sailors. :? I'm guessing if they haven't done it, it may not be worth doing.

I did see a Bolger design (I think it was Bolger anyway) with a trolling motor lower unit built/faired into the trailing edge of the rudder. The advantage is it would require less sophisticated modifications than your "trap door" idea. The disadvantage is that your dragging the prop around while sailing. Both are very innovative solutions. Independant thought like yours is what keeps the building process interesting.

My personal reason for not doing either is my enjoyment of this boat depends on it's simplicity.

I like the fold away motor idea. Maybe the trapdoor could be built into one side of the transom instead of the aft deck. Pop the door open, flip the motor down and off you go. If you were careful you could build the trapdoor to be watertight whether the motor was deployed or not.

Kind of 007ish.