Princess 26

Guest Scott Dunsworth

Guest Scott Dunsworth

Is it possable without a lot of trouble to use one type of marine plywood where the bright finish is not used? And say sapele where you want to finish bright? I guess what I am trying to ask is; as you build the sides will the construction and joints let you use one type and as you come to the cabin area switch to the sapele. I was thinking if I could build this way using okume or another type where it is painted and on the bottom and then use sapele on the areas that will show that I could save a chunk of money.

dunsworthds@psci.net

Guest Joe Nelson

You might want to look at Aquatek plywood as well for structural areas where you are not concerned about bright finish. For instance, 9mm Aquatek is about $26 a sheet and has the 5 plies and is simular to BS1088. My only critisism is that it is heavier by about 50%. But same void content, etc..But as it gets thicker, the weight difference gets smaller. Not sure if the listed weight for 9mm is overstated or not? Check out Edensaw Hardwoods on the net for information. I plan on building my whole Core Sound 20 with it.

joe_nelson22@hotmail.com

Guest Graham Byrnes

There is no reason that you can't mix and match different types of ply throughout the boat as long as you do it intelligently. I will use fir marine for the bottom of my Princess because its cheaper, stronger, more rot resistant and heavier than okume. The checking won't be a problem as I will glass the outside and some of the inside where water might lie. I will use okume for the rest because of it's better finish and lighter weight. You can also use sapele because it has okume core veneers and it is only slightly heavier than all okume. It is important with shoal draft boats not to raise the CG. This is discussed in the plans.