2003 Calendar Contest!

Guest Frank Hagan, Weekender, O

We are looking for 12 great images for our new 2003 calendar.

Each month's image is 11.5" wide by 9" high, bled to the edges (important detail should be in the 11" wide by 8.5" tall area). The images are full color, and printed at 150 dpi. Higher resolution pictures can be converted by us, but lower resolution may not turn out well enough to use. JPG, PNG or GIF images are best, but we can convert BMP and other formats if needed. Contact me via email for instructions on mailing an original photo -- we can scan them in for you at no cost, and return the original.

Topics: Well, boatbuilding. It can be your boat, your local sailing grounds, a great sailing shot, your original artwork, or anything else related to boatbuilding or the messing-about.com site. Funny, poignant or even sarcastic is OK, but it has to be family-friendly. For legal reasons, all people in the image must agree that it can be used. That means you can use your kids in the image without asking since they don't have a say in the matter, but you'd better ask your "significant other"! And, remember, it has to be a picture you have the rights to (no fair stealing a pic out of Wooden Boat)!

Images will be selected by yours truly. You are giving messing-about.com the right to use your photo in the calendar, but all other rights remain yours. That means messing-about.com will not use the image for any other use without your consent, and if that slick sailing magazine wants to buy your photo, you can still sell it!

If your image is judged as the best of the lot, it will be featured on the cover, and you win a fantastic prize ... well, you get a free calendar (a $16.99 value). OK, so we're not Publisher's Clearinghouse ... but the rest of us have to buy them, so quit complaining!

All proceeds from the calendar will be used to help support the messing-about.com site, avoiding those irritating pop up windows and flashing banners those other sites have to use.

Submit your entries to this secret email address:

frankhagan@ev1.net

If you have a preference for month because of launch date, birthday, anniversary or work-release

program date, let me know. No promises on if you'll get that month, but I'll try to accommodate any special requests.

fshagan@ev1.net

Guest Johannah

Frank, no pictures to send because a certain spouse to remain nameless doesn't "remember" to bring the camera, but please put me down for purchase of 2 calendars! Payment how?

nanjojo@earthlink.net

We'll have them done by CafePress, along with some other gift-type items (logo hats, that sort of thing.) So far, we have only a couple of cups and our "Boatbuilder's Clock", so the "store" isn't anywhere near complete. The plans are to include a few more items to round out the offerings. As with everything else around here, there's a small commission paid which helps support the site. But no one should feel obligated to buy something they don't want ... but, if it strikes your fancy ...

Its at http://www.cafepress.com/messing_about (that's an underscore between "messing" and "about"). More stuff to come!

fshagan@ev1.net

Guest Bruce S Kershaw, SW Flori

Great idea Frank! Count me in for one too.

I might even be able to dig up a picture.

I have few finished boats, but lots of pictures! :b

karebru@worldnet.att.net

Its going to be close ... delivery usually takes about two weeks, and I notice today is the 25th ... so if I decide on the images by next Friday, and the calendars are available for orders starting on Saturday, December 7, they should get delivered in time.

(How did Thanksgiving get so close to Christmas this year?)

fshagan@ev1.net

So we have until next Friday (7th Dec.) to give you some shots?

My girlfriend just got me a 35mm manual SLR (Ricoh) from the camera shop she works at, so I've got to get my eye in with it. Should be able to submit one or two construction shots of my PC as contenders.

Once I work out how to use the damn thing! 8):b

scolaway@yahoo.com

Uh oh ... one of those complicated cameras. The shot of your face, looking at the lens as if you're thinking "How the heck does this thing work" will not make the cut. It will make me laugh (since I have one like that). I've "graduated" to simple point and shoot cameras. :D

fshagan@ev1.net

Frank,

Are all the photos going to bleed? Do they have to? I was playing around with my originals which are the standard 4 x 6 and when enlarged and cropped for the 9 x 11.5, means that Horizonally you end up losing a few inches in every photo. This format limits us to using basically horizontal, cropped shots. A 4 x 6 enlarged in the 150-160% range will include the whole photo and leave a white space of 3.4 - 1+" around the photo of white space but it looks ok...

thoughts on this?

Another thought too... I have noticed that in PNG format (which would be nice since I believe it is lossless) creates about a 30 meg file (thats zipped, 8 files) JPG's are an option but this all depends on what type of editing the calender people will be doing, each time you open/edit a jpg and then save it, you lose on the quality. Whats the best way to get that to you when I'm ready to send it? I think it's to big for any type of attachment and I'll have to check and see if I even have that type of web space available to put it on (then you could just click and download it) another option is sending you a CD via snail mail...?

Thanks for your time...

Bill

P.S. you can count on me ordering a calender, whether any of my photo's make it or not..I'd support this web site any day. It's all progressed rather nicely :-)

Graphics360@Adelphia.net

You're right about the cropping issues. Also on the quality issue when enlarged.

A 4 x 5 photo scanned in at 300 dpi will format nicely when enlarged, but I do have to crop off part of the pic. Some sent in at 72 dpi do not enlarge well.

One pic at 640 x 480 worked great, with some cropping. Another at 837 x 558 also looks fine when done at the right size (again, some cropping is necessary).

The alternative is to have the "white space" around the pic (which could be any color, actually.) That is what I'll have to do for the lower resolution pics. Two could fit on one page though, which might be interesting.

The calendar people take JPG, PNG and GIF files, but prefer JPG or PNG. I can convert, crop and edit the photos to fit.

I can use the T1 line at work (on my own time, of course) for retrieving and uploading the pics to the calendar people. So if you can get them on the net, I can handle them. Or we can do something via snail mail if you don't have access to a fast connection (I can just see someone uploading for 3 hours ...)

fshagan@ev1.net

Well, it doesn't look like I'll have time to put together the photo montage that I intended to submit for the calender. However I did string some images up on a very dodgy webpage. If any of these are usable to you I'd be more than happy to provide some high res versions for the calender.

Very dodgy webpage.

scolaway@yahoo.com

Hi Simon ... Good start on the website, and you have some great pictures. I don't have any of the PC yet, and none of it under construction, so I'd love to get the one that is page two, "BACK.JPG" in a higher resolution. You can email it to me or upload it to http://www.messing-about.com/calendar/submit.htm

And I have to tell you, that Jarrah is beautiful! Seems almost a shame to cover it epoxy and paint!

fshagan@ev1.net