211,400 feet!

MikeStevenson

This is a really exciting event. That is about 40 miles up. Years overdue IMHO, but really glad to see things like this starting to happen.

I grew up with NASA, went to school with the kids of the astronauts, engineers and scientist in the 60s. We all shared a dream and still do. I hope things like this will reignite our exploration or space and take it away from the bureaucrats and career oriented people at NASA. Too many of them know only how to say NO anymore.

Kind of thing of been waiting for since 1950. I remember in his original proposal for a moonship Dr. von Braun's craft was a glider, and rather than thermal tiles, he would have the craft skim into the atmosphere, and then back out before it got too hot, gradually reducing speed by doing this until it was safe to come down at a reasonable speed, and this was designed with the materials in use in 1950 in consideration. He had several good proposals he put out in the old Collier's magazine, which as a kid, I read avidly. I lived across the street from a nephew of Dr Goddard, who did so much rocketry pioneering privately in the 20's and 30's. His nephew was involved in the design of our Atomic subs, but as a kid was always designing model planes and rockets, which helped fuel my intrest in them.

I met Dr. von Braun several times, visiting with him the last time right after the first moon landing in 1969. He came to dinner at Jimmie Walkers in Kemah Texas. We visited about space stations and moon bases.....sigh. I was gone at sea in the Navy when he died.

Goddard is the true father of modern rocketry.

when are you going to get that vacationer out to green river? I have been sailing twice already. the water is at summer pool and has really cleared up. I took a friend that was visiting last monday afternoon and put in at lone valley and sailed down past the dam. it was pretty good that afternoon and we had the lake to ourselves. give me a holler at barnacle@kyol.net if you've a mind to go. Bill

We had plans to go to the Green for an overnight on the boat Derby Weekend (get out of Louisville day for us natives), but you know how the weather got. Thought they might have to run the race in snowshoes instead of horse shoes. Last week my wife had commitments. We thought about today, but the rain is pouring down, and now I am off to Houston for work for a couple of weeks. It looks like 1st week in June now. I'll give a shout when we're going.