Princess Sharpie 22 & 26 trailer launching

Guest Greg Luckett

Guest Greg Luckett

I am curious about how deep the water needs to be to launch these boats. What is the difference with the 22 vs. the 26 foot length.

My previous boat was a Catalina 22 wing keel, which needed about 48 inches of water over the axles to properely float and/or retrieve her onto the trailer. This was a royal pain due to the low water levels in the river. She had about a 32 inch draft, but the trailer had to go deeper and was on a ramp. It had a rather long tongue which helped.

I am deciding whether to build the 22 or 26, and since I also plan to dry sail, trailer issues are important.

Thanks.

luckettg@qtm.net

Guest Graham Byrnes

The Catalina 22 wing keel lists at 2'6". The Princess 22 is 1' and the 26 is 1'4" draft. Obviously, much depends on the slope of the ramp and the set up on the trailer. However, with about half the draft (or less in the case of the 22)it would be have to be relatively better. Obviously, the height of the trailer is a big factor too.

Speaking of trailing issues, the whole set up will sit lower on the trailer than your current Catalina set up, which will reduce windage and increase the stability of the towing load. Also, the keel configuration makes for a much less complex trailer set up. This whole trailer ing question was much on my mind when I designed the boat, as I was certainly thinking in terms of a boat that could be "travelled well and far"!

Guest Greg Luckett

Graham,

I am still trying to get a feel for what trailer requirement are for these two designs. I was shopping at a local supplier for trailers.

The Catalina 22 I had was sold last year.

That half the draft means a lower trailer makes sense, and I understood that. Since the Sharpie's are "home" built, I need to understand better the trailer requirements. Have you gotten that far with the planning? My concern is the differences in launching the Sharpie 22 Vs. the Sharpie 26, and the coresponding trailer requirements. For instance, how long should the trailer be, how wide, bunks or rollers, winch post height, bunk heights, keel guides, etc. If I will be able to easily launch and retrieve the 26, it will be my choice to build, else the 22.

I hope this clears up what I am trying to figure out. If not, perhaps I should call you again?

Thanks for the help and advice,

Greg.

luckettg@qtm.net

• 2 months later...
Guest Greg Luckett

Graham,

Just a note about the Catalina 22. Launching her with the rudder on required more than the draft of 2ft6in would indicate due to the rudder, floating her off the bunks, and the angle or the launch ramp. My trailer had about an 8 foot tongue too. The PS26 has got to be easier to float and retrieve than that.

Greg.

luckettg@qtm.net