Launch pics

capt jake

• Replies 44
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

A few more to add to the fanfare. :)

I have a few more, too bad we got so pre-occupied sailing. :shock:

We had a GREAT time!!! I learned a lot from Barry; he really kows his stuff.

Thanks to Barry and Joel for being there to help with this event. We popped a corked after shaking her out a bit.

Wonderful time!

[attachment over 4 years old deleted by admin]

And the full story is here, if you have access to Imagestation.

I had a blast! I think Joel and Barry did as well. I know Barry enjoyed teaching us newbies a thing or 12 (or was that 24?).

It is so quiet out there, it is very peaceful. The seals were popping up and saying "Holy Mackerel, did you see the finish on the bottom of that boat??" (OK, I stole that from Frank, I hope you don't mind).

http://www.imagestation.com/album/?id=4286941039

OK, narrative, it will only give Ray and chance to check my spelling! LOL

I awoke this am to torrential rain. We have had rain in the forecast all week, but nothing has transpired until this AM. I got myself together (a few cups of jo later) ad forged of to buy sparkling cider, cups and rain pants! Found all in short order and returned.

About 0830, Joel arrives. 0845 Barry arrives. We take the quick tour of the house and look at thing. Then we go and look t the boat for a while. Barry points out that he is dressed in green for the occasion! Joel has green raingear also! Me? I have a green sweatshirt on that nobody can see. :)

Off to the launch. One stop for some other needed items. Then to Swantown Marina. !!

While stepping the mast, things weren't going as planned. Something bound up and would not allow the mast to raise. We found the problem (one of the shrouds) and corrected the problem and continued ahead. Quite a while fiddling with the forestay and shrouds. Once it was all together, one of the deadeyes was extremely loose. This was odd as i had pre-tensioned them and stepped the mast several times prior. In the end one deadeye needed to have nearly a foot of line taken in to achieve the proper tension.

Launch time!!! Boat hits the water at 1045. Joel and Barry have to stand in the rain while I go and pay the launch fee and park the truck. Barry suggests that Joel and I take it around the bay for a few Kodak moments, we oblige!!

Back to the dock and pick up master sailor Barry. Off to the races; all 55# thrust!! Absolutely NO wind!! :( We cruise for a bit, at least the rain has let up a bit. Then we notice the jib starting to fill out a bit, can it be?? Alas, it subsides and we continue our slow migration towards to docks. As we round the bend, the wind picks up and the question is posed, "do we venture out or play it safe and head in?". A unanimous YES resounded and we headed out into the bay!!!

We headed out and un-zipped the mainsail cover. Winds were moderate but perfect for a first time learning adventure. Barry pointed out how to adjust the sails under changing winds. At first I was over whelmed by all of the information, but then it started to make sense. We played around for an hour or better, the decided it was time to un-cork the bottle of spirits that was brought aboard. We gave her a blessing at sea, the exact words escape me. The one thing I do remember, "Here is to good friends!" This was said more than once!

We watched the weather in the marina get really ugly looking, so we stayed out and played some more. We then decided to head in. We were making fairly good progress when the wind began to die off. We pout the motor in the water and gave a little extra push. Then we dropped the main and went with jib and motor all the way in (the jib did nothing, we just left it up to keep it out of the way).

Into port on one of the lowest tides, -3.7 I believe. We made it to the point the dockmaster wanted us and tied off awaiting further instructions. After stepping onto a slimy dirt dock and back into the boat, I realized all of the clean-up was lost.

We then had to move the boat to another location. They delayed telling us as the tide was so low they though we couldn't make it. Alas, 12" of draft, no problem. I raised the rudder and began to back into the new slot. I only put the prop in the mud two times, with Barry's help pushing us away from mussel infested pier pilings. Into the new mooring location and tied off. All is well!! Muddy and the scum line on the hull sides is ugly, but I have to be there early in the AM anyway, then I will mop her down again.

Motor and all precious cargo were removed prior to locking the companion way closed. Oh an during this time, the sun came out!!!! :) :)

After we loaded up and were headed home, the sky broke loose and literally poured!!! Thunder and lots and lots of rain.

Only have to lower the winch on the trailer due to the recent addition of a Dolphin striker, which hung up on launch.

Gosh, if I missed something, I hope Joel and/or Barry will fill in the details!

I had a BLAST!! I needed this, a great escape from reality! ;) ;)

PS: Very stable and impressive! A joy to sail. I may go out tommorrow, depending on weather. No ballast needed. ;)

Capt. Jake has one fine Weekender. Not only does it look incredible, it is also a good handling boat in extremely light winds. Just barely enough to see the puffs on the surface. Shortly after the last photo was taken we decided that we would give it a try because there was the very slightest of a ripple on the surface and the Lapper was trying to fill.

So...at no time would I rate the winds as moderate. They were 0-maybe 2 knots and variable. Although there were some puffs that allowed us to get going pretty well and to induce some healing to the boat so that both Joel and Capt. Jake could see that it wouldn't just fall over. I think that they both got a little excited about that.

Joel and Capt. Jake were doing all the hard stuff, I just sat back and watched them do it. Of course I had to add a little instruction along the way, but they are both quick learners.

Capt. Jake has a Lapper and a loose footed Main. So no clubfoot to do things for you from the get-go. He found out that you have to pay attention to what is going on all the time when you are just getting started. But that was just part of the fun. Joel had a nice long turn at the helm while Capt. Jake and I played with sail shape, reading water, telltails and line handling. We had a lesson in airfoil shapes and the ventrui effect for him with perfect light air conditions so that he and Joel could see the difference that even small adustments can make. They both picked up on that pretty quickly it seems.

Fire Escape has a tiller and a bridle for the boom. That proved to be a bit of a challenge for them as the tiller handle is a bit long but will work and they both felt that it was set too low and needed to be able to be swung up rather than being fixed in height. So we talked about how to make it folding and several ways to work with it.

We had the boat picking up speed really quite well and they were I think quite amazed when I started to tune things up from the get go. Pretty soon they both were making corrections and minor adjustments that were noticable immediately. I had them move ballast around while under way so they could see how sensitive the Weekender is to trim with both ballast and sheet handling. Both of them were really impressed with how solid and well behaved "Fire Escape" is and how neutral it is in rudder feel.

I think Capt. Jake is in for a lot of fun and good performance with his boat and if he really does get out and just use it, he will be a fast learner.

I had a blast with them both and wouldn't have missed this day for anything. They are great people, anyone would love having them around for friends.

And Capt. Jake's home has turned out beautifully. It is obvious that he is a good craftsman, and his bride is a good decorator. The Kayak hanging inverted from the ceiling is a really nice (expensive) decorator touch.

All in all a great day, and yes it was typical Northwest weather for Spring.

And Capt. Jake is a very gratious host. Fire Escape should draw a lot of attention at the Olympia Wooden Boat Fair. Several large schooners and ketches at the docks this afternoon but he was the only small sailboat that I saw.

And no dings on it today. Only dock dirt and scum from the dock area.

Well done all!!! 8) Capt. Typo, there is much happiness here to see you venture forth with such success. Sounds like you had the ideal team so the weather doesn't matter much. From auspicious beginnings, may you captain many a fine voyage. The presence of the Silkies is another good sign. Barry, what a fine teacher you make and that is no surprise to anyone here.

Why thank you Johannah. I try and sometimes I get across what I'm trying to say. Occasionally the students are very receptive and the "lesson" sticks. Sometimes not so well.

One of my favorite quotes is: "I may not be good, but I'm slow!"

I learn quick, but sometimes it takes a while before the lessons really have meaning. It isn't really yours until you can show it and explain it to someone else and then do it yourself. Then you got it! 8)

I teach by a hands on approach. And today, they had hands on and it paid good dividends. I'm pleased that they had a good time and picked up a few pointers that will get them on their way to having a good time with their boats. I usually learn something on every trip out. Today was no exception.

Way to go Captain Captain!

The seals do appreciate the fine looking bottom; they often tell me mine looks like ... well, something that sounds a bit like "brrraaach!"

Here's a hint ... don't try to feed them sardines. They'll jump in your boat. Two guys in our harbor had a 250 pound seal in their boat, and they decided the best place for them was the water.

Having a sail boat is wonderful around the sea life; I actually enjoy the mild days as much as the windy ... seals popping up to eye you, pelicans flying low across your bow. Turn on a motor and they go away (although your electric is quieter, the prop will still cause enough of a commotion that the seals won't pop up next to you to look you over).

You have a beautiful boat, and had a great launch day. That makes all that sanding worthwhile, huh?

Congrats Capt Jake on the launching of your boat. I am glad that I am not the only one to go out on a maiden voyage and have absolutely no wind. It looks like you had a good time.

Heck' date=' there was three forum members there, including Jake, so there should have been plenty of wind. :wink: [slightly sarcastic'] But it did look great. 8) This was better than a launching of a big aircraft carrier, with the amount of work and hours included in this boat. We all feel like we worked on it, as Jake was so kind in informing us of every piece sandpaper, coat of primer, and hour that he put in it. Now did you win the prize again in the show? Inquiring minds want to know. Now he is really the Captain now.

Congratulations Captain Jake! (though like Oyster, I wonder if the disclaimer of not being a captain still applies.)

Barry would be the ideal teacher! Thanks for the photographs and the detailed narratives! Next to good sailing is good reading.

Do keep us posted on your upcoming adventures!