now or never or at least...not until saturday

adla

barry is right...the best way is to catch it right before it sets and zip it off with a straight blade...i don't sit out in the cold and wait so, i wil have to knock it down with the sander...i was not so worried about it since the rubrails (i haven't felt like using that word in a couple of weeks) are going to cover the top edge...but it knocks off with a sand pretty well too.

a.

Great shots...I'm really impressed with the whole project so far. Nice attitude and great follow-through!

What sort of other glass work have you done? Nice job with the spreader. I think for eppoxy you'd probably be right to use that. I've never done a whole lay-up with epoxy, just wing centers for R/C gliders. With polyester I do like rollers, but polyester is so much thinner as I've seen the epoxy.

To everyone else's querys and sharings of protective gear use, you really don't want to see how Peter and I work with p/v-esters! Epoxy would make me think about gloves if I had to use it a lot. One boat wouldn't be too threatening though. (at least personally

thanks Mike, and the fiberglass work i used to do was repair and fabrication of *stuff* nothing that had to fly or float...but misc stuff... most of the bad habits are from those days...i really should have worn gloves but epoxy hasn't ever really given me any rashes or problems..but then again my pa always said i was as tough as a boiled owl. Most people don't like to sand or grind out the glass because it can itch..and that is a good time to wear protective gear..but the itch doesn't bother me that much either. i never did care for spraying acrylic laquer..my bones would hurt for days.

i've told u before how much fun this boat building stuff is...so much fun.

a.

I usually trim off the excess, which is sticking out past the edges, after it is completely dried, which eliminates the possibility of pulling the cloth up even slightly and causing delamination problems later. I use a utility razor knife and just slice off the excess. This is really easy to do.

Yep, slicing excess when it's cheesy is great. Ditto for scraping drips, spills, etc. with a putty knife.

Adla: I know exactly what you mean about gloves. It's a nice idea, but not necc. practical in the heat of the moment. I can think of too many times when Peter and I have had to resort to the ultimate tools: bare hands fiddling the fibers into submission. We try to avoid that, as I'm sure you do too, but once inawhile that smell creeps in (the going-off scent that polyester gets as it starts to catalyse) and you get the idea that we'd better get the lead out and solve these problems post-haste!

The best job though was the hulls for the 36-footer which were four layers of 24oz. bi-ax (not including the mat scrim...), over eight feet from side-to-side, and for some stupid reason it was over a hundred degrees the day we decided to glass. The resin had kicked hard about eight to ten feet behind us and we had 36 feet of hull to do. Nothing but keep going and hope for the best! Of course it was a catamaran, so that meant a whole 'nother hull afterwards to do, then the decks (we used the same male mold for both hull and deck. Then my uncle talked us into helping him pull an outrigger hull from the mold (same shape, shorter freeboard) since we had the mold all set up...

I can't imagine doing that on a a serious bet now...

I guess that's growing up (or getting soft...), but I don't know what Peter's excuse was, as I'm younger than he was when we did that! I guess it the getting-soft part...

At any rate, we're all very impressed by the quick work.

Mike