Lines for a small sprit rigged pram.

Scott Dufour

Can anybody help me out?

I just ordered a sail from Bateau for my D5. What do I need for ropes? I'm sure I need a rope-thingy to lash the luff to the mast, and a smaller one for the snotter, and something to hold in my hand fromt the clew. What types should they be and what lengths. Anyone?

I have a Bolger Pirogue with a sprit rig this it what has worked for me over the last three seasons.

There is a cringle or gromet at the top of the sail at the mast and at the top of the sprit. In this I have a 1/4" line tied to the sail with a bowline in each. I have the sailed laced to the mast using a trdaitional sail lacing with 1/4" line. At the tack or bottom most grommet a piece of 1/4" line acts a a down haul to tighten up the sail and attaches to the mast down low near the mast thwart. The snotter is 1/4" line and should be of good quality line as it will stretch and let the top of the sail sag while sailing. My snotter has a loop tied into one end to accept the bottom of the sprit, it is then run up to a small block and then back down to a cleat on the front of the mast, so that I can adjust the sail shape. There were 2 very good articles in Wooden Boat mag in the 80's (I think) check their website and get the articles form your library they were very helpful and cover reefing which tends to be a little more complex than that of some other sails. I use a piece of really soft 3/8" line for the sheet, it is heavy for the purpose but try gripping a piece of 1/4" for a couple of hours.

This is a picture of my sprit under sail. I can email a sketch if what I said above has made matters worse.

http://byyb.org/pn/modules.php?op=modload&name=coppermine&file=displayimagepopup&pid=137&fullsize=1

Jim

Scott by my count you need 4 cleats

1. Top of mast forward side for top of sail

2. Top of sprit for peak of sail

3. Bottom aft side of mast for down haul

4. Bottom forward side of mast for snotter

I just used small black plastic horn cleats from West Marine.

Hey Pat,

The boat is a Bolger design, more of an open cockpit kayak. She has a flat bottom, an asymetrical hull (more beam aft of midships). She never ships any water even in the roughest conditions. The boat is a bit of a tank but very stable. I paddle with a kayak paddle but sail more often than not.

Jim

Hey Pat' date='

The boat is a Bolger design, more of an open cockpit kayak. She has a flat bottom, an asymetrical hull (more beam aft of midships). She never ships any water even in the roughest conditions. The boat is a bit of a tank but very stable. I paddle with a kayak paddle but sail more often than not.

Jim[/quote']

I've often wondered why we don't get more Bolger-built boats talked about here ... there's certainly a large community of Bolger builders out there! I know there's a Yahoo group, but I haven't seen any real communities like the ones here for the B&B Yachts or Stevenson Projects.