top is on

adla

well the top is on! :D:D:D

some pics and more to follow. There are some "action" shots because i wasn't handling the camera today....

My dad came by and assisted in the 'push down' on the top. He not only looks like the guy in the video he asks 8 thousand questions...and i just say "i dunno".

i didn't curve the rafter chocks because i didn't like it so much once i had done it...they just got a chamfer and so did the rafters. The fill and sand went smooth (no pun intended) and the cabin may be just a hair shorter than the plans but because i am just 5 feet tall....there is plenty of roomy room in thar.

i shall take a break from it all now...(not a long break) but i just couldn't see slowin' down until the cabin was buttoned up.

Adla

[attachment over 4 years old deleted by admin]

Great progress, Adla.

Looks like fir plywood like I used ... I had trouble just after this step as I was trying to make the plywood "fair" ... I sanded it with my ROS, thinking I was doing a good thing. But I was too aggressive, and I ended up making a "washboard" effect where the sander took more material away from the lighter, softer wood area than the darker harder wood areas. I ended up having to fill and fair the side I did this on; more work to get it back to where I started!

So, the moral is, don't worry too much about prepping the ply before the glass and resin. High spots and low spots need to be addressed, but you don't need to sand the entire hull before you go on.

Great progress indeed! I'm glad you're posting the progress shots; it's great fun to watch the speedy work.

Frank's very right: Don't do much at all before glassing. You just want to knock off the high spots and get things fair, not smooth. The smooth part comes after the glass (if at all; areas under non-skid need no finishing.)

I was going to write "Keep up the terrific work", but that seems hardly neccessary or polite! You're seem to have it well in hand.

Mike

well, i think you are right, Frank. i didn't sand a great deal (habit to always wear the mask and goggles) and my dad asked me why i did such a quick 'slight' job with the filler the first time....finishing used to be my 'job' and one thing is certain...fill and sand twice and slight is faster and better than sloppy, goopy and sanding for days. Maybe that is why the mat fiberglass isn't such a hassel for me...i really don't over lay it, or over work it. The ply for the deck and top were absolute crap...i ordered "marine grade" for the 1/2 inch stuff but the 3/8 and 1/4 is just crap..the guys at the lumber place say it is because the good wood is going over seas and that has shot the price of domestic ply up blah blah blah...we can't get marine grade any smaller than 1/2 blah blah blah...*whatever* it was pretty crappy so i am using epoxy and mat to give me solid joints and put the good side in the cabin because i may just leave it bright.

either way..the boat is going to be sailing primarily in two rEALly rOCky lakes...and me at the helm...sounds like trouble!

a.

oh ps ps ps

that is why i did the primer "clean slate" on the interior....couldn't see high or low spots on the wood because of grain and shadow. As soon as possible..i create the clean slate so that i can use filler and a little misty flat black spray 'to "guide" me the way home'

a.

You're doing great! Glad to see you get primer on it ASAP before trying to sand it all to shape.

Like Frank's experience with trying to sand Doug Fir plywood. All the softwoods have the same challenge. Too much difference between the growth rings and the harder annular rings. So all the soft wood gets sanded out and leaves the ridges to hold the filler inplace. :roll:

Too often that is the tendency to just want to sand it to the finished look. Not realizing that the more you sand plywood, the worse it gets.

Like Mike said, save the finish sanding for after the glass gets on.

Your Dad has to be impressed. I would be for sure. :wink:

thanks Barry and Kudzu...

i really didn't sand much (no complaints about it, eh?) Pa asked me about that too...i just kept saying "cain't seeez it, pa!"...

my dad is proud, tells his friends and strangers...but for years he has brought me his chainsaws, his friend's chainsaws...blowers, lawnmowers, tillers....etc...i'm handy with the small 2 stroke. luv em for their power and 'moods'...his friend had a tiller in the garage for a couple of years because it quit workin' on him. My Pa says "i bet my baby girl can fix it"

easy.peasy

but this boat building makes him happiest of all! and i am about cracked up over it...fun fun fun...tellin' ya'll it is fun!

Must I only say that I am very impressed with your progress and enjoy seeing someone enjoying building a boat for themselves? But I am truely in AHHHHH!!!! It looks like you are using redwood for the deck beams.? With that much crown you maybe well served to sandwich a piece of 1/4 plywood to side to prevent any splitting of the wood, if in fact that is the type of wood you chose to use. This is just a idle thought, though. I like laminating strips on a master crown form, which is very simple to do, also.

This gives you the most for the least amount of wood used and gives you maximum headroom. Keep up the great work.

thanks, Oyster...

that wood is mahogany. it turned out to be a lot heavier and harder than i thought it would be. it looks pinkish because i ran the stock on the jointer and then planed it before i cut the rafters and i haven't put a oil or varnish on it yet....there are 2 rafters like the plans call for...but it looks like there is only a picture of the one going on.

i was going to use it for the bowsprit but it was so much heavier than i expected...what does everyone think??? mahogany for the bowsprit???

a.

You can use Mahogany for the bowsprit if you choose. I would go pick out a 10' 4X4 of Doug Fir with as small knots as possible and make your bowsprit and your mast base out of it.

I would also check some of the recycle lumber places for 4X4 material. Sometimes they have some nasty looking pieces that are just the ticket after trimming to size.

I was fortunate enough to find a couple 14' clear VG Doug Fir that had been dinged up quite a bit and were sitting in the back of the lumberyard as rejected for finish work because of the damage to them. I trimmed them off to size and no one but me knew any different. I got them for #2 good and better prices. Sometimes it pays to ask what else they've got stashed somewhere.

that two car carport has supported a great many mad schemes....light and air is the way to go but when it is 117degrees or 120degrees and the sun is beating down...the lid on the carport takes on a whole new meaning. my poor mom is always trying to convince me into making a 'garden room' out of the area...*blink* she gets me confused with one of her other kids....

it really is time to think about how to trailer the boat....i dunno yet.

a.

it was all i could do not to work on the boat today...had lunch in the cabin. i'm outta my mind for sure. Oyster...building the boat for myself...i did find another pretty plan today as i poked about the internet...the navigator, real pretty. i like the boats with older lines. like the triumph spitfire i had...liked it better than the mg because it had more shape/class/style. performance was never an issue...the thing only ran about 60% of time and when it ran...it was so nice...lovey dovey.

a.

Don't worry about putting too much weight forward (as in using heavy wood for the bowsprit). Most of us find the Weekender sails a bit better with about 150# up in the forecastle anyway. The difference in weight between woods is going to be marginal anyway.

These are really light boats, and perform very well in light airs. I routinely sail past people motoring in the harbor because they can't move their boats well when the wind isn't blowing a bit. But what I've found is that weight forward of the mast helps the trim (of course, I present considerably more ballast in the rear of the boat than you would!)

I learned to sail in my Weekender, starting on the day I launched. I wouldn't have it any other way now. Its a great experience!

I'm assuming you must mean an MG B, as the others are pretty swoopy. We're (Peter & I) in the midst of putting a B engine in Peter's A right now. I was hoping for a test fire today, but the starter was dead-dead; now we wait until Tuesday...No "...we are go for main engine sequence start..." I'm afraid.

I await the next installment of your Weekender serial with eager mouse-finger.