Yet another Amphora

buck

After wondering through Wayne's website I spotted this little beauty! Who else uses gorilla glue to build their Amphora? We seem to be getting lots of them maybe we could give up being called Weekender building and call ourselves Amphora building!

After wondering through Wayne's website I spotted this little beauty! Who else uses gorilla glue to build their Amphora? We seem to be getting lots of them maybe we could give up being called Weekender building and call ourselves Amphora building!

Wwweeelllll........we did, at least partially. Since we could not find any decent 1x12 stock for the bulkheads, we fabricated them from 1/2 ext. grade plywood and then using screws and gorilla glue, attached stringers to the bulkhead panels. The deck and hull stringers and the bulkhead to deck have been glued with epoxy resin and filler mix. We still need to attach the hull to the keel, then the deck/bulkhead assembly to the hull, and the sides. We hope to get this done soon if the weather stays warm enough.

:lol: Weekender building vs. Amphora building? Where do you see "Weekender" on the forum title? :lol: Actually, Frank and I discussed this issue a couple of months ago. Frank decided the main forum would be the best place to discuss Amphora projects. Perhaps if enough msg. traffic is generated to warrant moving it to a different place?

Thanks for the link.

Greg.

Well I can't see why you'd need a separate forum for the Amphora. For one thing, the interest will die back a little as people settle in to a bit less of a frenzy of Amphora building, and there aren't forums for each of the other boats. I can just imagine how busy the Sportfoil forum will be... :roll:

Mike

Hey Mike,

Why is your book on the Amphora out of print? I think you should, if you have not already done so, give it some thought. It is really a unique sort of book. A few updates as to glues and materials and some project pictures for the second edition maybe. I encourage you to consider it.

Greg.

It was the publisher's decision to not print any more of the book. I can see why, as a large publishing house would consider this a not-very-profitable book. In fact, I doubt it would be acepted for publishing in this market. Thirty-some years ago things were far more relaxed as to profit margins.

I am scanning the book now to either have it available as a download or something.

Mike

Who owns the rights to publish?

If you do, then burn CDs and sell them instead of books.

I have also heard that we no longer need the big publishing houses and that small volume book publishing is low cost and available. Almost a publish yourself sort of era.

If you have all the legalities in place and aren't in a huuuge hurry, I could do up something nice for you as an e-book. I've done quite a few technical manuals this way for Big Oil. Be easy to add some current builder's pics etc. You could host it on your site, let people download it, distrbute it on CD, whatever is best. If you wanted to, we could put together a plan later this month, well, next month . . .