Yet another CS-17/20 question

Kudzu

I have looked ever page I can find on the Core Sound boats. One thing I notice in the costruction photos that puzzles me. In each boat it appears that some of the framing/reinforcement/ect are built of regular framing lumber. Like yellow pine. Of course it's hard to tell for sure what I looking at in the photos. But is that right?

Yellow pine just seems like a bad choice in a boat even if it is encapsulated in epoxy.

I would just order the plans but what with building this new house and work I have no time to really look at them. And they would get lost before I get in the new house. So I want to wait till we move out of this small space and I actually have a shop!

Use what framing material you wish and what is available in your area. I used Douglas Fir (Pseudosuga menzisii). If you have a table saw you can mill your pieces out of cheap 2x4's etc.. I also bought cheap 1x2's for framing the cockpit seats, etc.. Some of this was kiln dried but not sold as vertical grain kiln dried. Had to pick though to find pieces that had the right cross section of grain for the application I was using it for.

Joe

Southern yellow pine has some rot resistance and is a heavy, strong wood. So it makes a good keel wood and can be used for structural pieces elsewhere. It's much harder and has fewer knots than most eastern white pine.

However SYP is is stiffer and heavier than D. Fir so it might not be so good for rails that have to be bent onto the boat.

D. Fir is a prefered boatmaking wood that can be used for the complete boat if you glass the Fir plywood. But its getting harder to find at a good price in many areas of the county.

I'm using some of each along with some free wood from crates that come from Europe.

Southern yellow pine has some rot resistance and is a heavy' date=' strong wood. So it makes a good keel wood and can be used for structural pieces elsewhere. It's much harder and has fewer knots than most eastern white pine.[/quote']

Are you sure about Southern Yellow Pine? It doesn't hold up very well outdoors and I would be very hesitant to use in in boat I wanted to keep. I used it in a tortured plywood kayak that I wanted to try out as cheap as possible. I just wanted it to last one summer.

A buddy of mine gave me several years of Wooden Boat a few weeks ago and I read an article on what we now commonly refer to as Heart Pine, which is loblolly pine. I had no idea it was such a good boat building lumber!

Anytime I have replaced anything in my Cris Craft I have always scrounged up good boat building woods. One day I was at one of the marinas and they were putting in a new transom on very large cruiser. They had a bunch of what I think was yellow cedar. Of course it had lots of screw holes but I grabbed several boards and made many fine small parts from that.

I used cypress to build the swim platform. The braces were made from sassafras because they stay under water or wet all the time.

Anyway, got side tracked. You have answered my question. I doubt douglas fir is easy to find here. Lots of white pine framing lumber but that can be most anything! But if I enjoy this boat as much as I think I would I would want to build it to last. So we might just have to plan a long weekend and pick up some good lumber to build with on the way home :D .

SYP is fine for boat building. So is Poplar, although you do have to watch and get the right wood (there are several different varieties, and I can't remember the botonical name of the Poplar that is OK).

SYP is used for outdoor decking, and even the planks on our piers here in SoCal.

A quote from Boatbuilding Manual by Robert M. Stewart who had over 60 years in the boatbuilding industry as a builder and designer with major firms prior to his death in 1996:

"Yellow Pine (Longleaf)

Weight about 3.4 lbs. (heavy). Strong, very durable, and straight grained.

Used for stringers, clamps, and for planking if weight is not a factor, also as a substitute for white oak keels, deadwood, etc. May be available in long lengths in some localities. Has been reported as not durable in fresh water, but I cannot substantiate this. Grows in southern United States in Atlantic and Gulf states."

I am using Doug Fir since that is what is plentiful here in the Northwest, but I would have used Yellow Pine in a heartbeat for the keel skeg and keel batten if I could have found it around here :-)

"Yellow Pine (Longleaf)

..... Has been reported as not durable in fresh water' date=' but I cannot substantiate this. Grows in southern United States in Atlantic and Gulf states."[/quote']

Assuming this is the same yellow pine that grows here their must be something to the fresh water comment. What we get does not hold up to weather well at all. It is commonly pressure treated and used for piers and decks and such. Without the treatments it will decay in just a few years.

Thanks, thats very interesting.