Amphora bulkheads

Samuel

Thru the bulkhead, Yes, if it is right next to the hull bottom. If it is thru the bottom to drain, NO!

But honestly, it would be better if you just took a sponge and a towel with you to clear out any water that gets into there. Drain holes tend to have other problems down the road. Like wood rotting.

Barry,

Sam is talking about small cutouts at the bottom of the bulkheads, not the hull itself. All the other boats I have built had these. It allows the bilge to be common and makes it easier to bail out.

I told Sam and Ben that since this is thier boat, they should be making the decisions. I won't let them flounder much :). This has been a really good learning time for them. Now they know why they should be paying attention in school. Fractions, addition, subtraction, shapes. I also make them be as safe as possible. For instance, before this I fussed at them all the time about loose shoe laces. On my job sites, it is a safety hazard and they cannot be there with loose shoe laces or shoes not on properely. It is amazing how rapidly they have learned to tie those shoes and keep them tied :lol:.

They have learned to pay better attention to instructions and details too. I let Ben do some hand sawing, warning him to use the tool properely, giving a demo of its use, and warning about how sharp the saw is, etc. 5 seconds later on the second stroke, he cut his finger. I told him there was not time on a job site to waste on self inflicted wounds caused by carelessness.....he laughed, wrapped a paper towel around the cut, then kept on sawing. What a kid! :D We took a break right after that for some food and doctoring.

I think drain openings are probably fine. We may have drilled some in ours later. There is one consideration though: The big cuddy openings allow enough air to keep things dry, and you can reach in to sponge out any slop up in there, and (this is the big thought) you can keep your food semi-dry if you don't have drain ports. Wet feet will bring in an inevitable amount of water, which will then find its way into your chips and snacks and bread. Something to think about.

Mike