Non-skid?

Guest capt jake

Guest capt jake

OK how far to take the non-skid? Do you folks non-skid the cockpit seats?? I have been pondering this question. ::) Might give a better grip for a cushion??? :D

Thoughts? :)

jwentz4@attbi.com

Guest Frank Hagan, Weekender, O

Non-skid the seats, definately. Also, the cabin top and deck areas, including the top of the forecastle hatch. You need the non-skid on the cockpit seats when jumping up to run forward and dowse the jib, untangle the halyards, etc.

I like the use of crushed walnut shells, if you can find them. If you have a reloading shop or supply house in town, you can sometimes get Agrashell used for polishing brass from them in small quantities. The advantage is that, unlike crushed rubber, the agrashell doesn't stain your white captain's pants, and its much more gentle on your skin than sand. YOu can even hit it with a pad sander to knock the peaks off the agrashell prior to painting, and it makes it like that "Kool Deck" stuff they put around swimming pools.

The place that makes Agrashell is near me, and I can buy it in bulk. I've been thinking of doing that, filling the garage with it, and selling it off in 10# bags.

fshagan@ev1.net

Guest Ray Frechette jr

IMHO the nonskid on thhe weekender is far more functional ar reducing finishing time fairing the surface than in providing secure footing.

Your gar more likely to fall of the boat from not watching your center of gravity or coordinating crew movement than you are from your foot slipping on a slick surface.

So, unlwss you really like sanding and filling and fairing and sanding some more and again, put the nonskid wherever you can get away with it.

It looks real neat too.

Just remember to coordinate crew movement and wtch your center of gravity as you move about.

refent1@prodigy.net

Guest Gordy Hill In Orlando

when jumping up to run forward and dowse the jib, untangle the halyards, etc ??? Tisk, tisk, tisk!

I'll never deny the Weekender is a charming little boat, but after sailing a cat-ketch with sprits I don't know if I could ever go back!

(Just had to say that)

On my decks I used Intrlux POLYMERIC NONSKID COMPOUND. "Mix 4-6 oz. by volume per quart".

I added it to a one-part poly topside paint and applied it with a 3" roller. It came out PERFECT.

I'm told the stuff consists of microscopic spheres of a rubber-like compound. It makes a great non-skid and it dried out showing absolutely NO roller tracks or orange peel. There's no sandpaper action against my nether regions and I've gotten numberous complements about it.

Trust me on this. If you have to, WALK to Union N.J. to get some.

sirgordy@peoplepc.com

Guest capt jake

Actually, that is the product I was going to use (that or Pettit's).

My plan is to mask off and apply the non-skid, remove masking and coat everything with at least 2 more coats. I am assuming the effect of the non-skid is still there after a few coats? Interlux recommends one more coat over the roller method. I wonder what a few more would do?

Oh, I will be using Benjamin Moore's urethane enamel. I have heard good things about it form some folks in CA and FL. Similar to Brightsides at about $9/qt.

jwentz4@attbi.com

Guest Levi Bright

Drywall finishers often "non-skid" walls with a textured finish that eliminates a lot of final sanding yet looks ok to most buyers. This shouldn't mean of course that we boat-builders must use non-skid as an "easy out" and plaster it everywhere on the boat does it? I agree that keeping your balance and controling movement in the boat counts for a lot in keeping people from going overboard. I guess I won't paint it on the bottom of my boat where a scarf-joint shows a little but I might take the advice for using it on seats to control cushions from moving about. The best ideas continue to flow on this forum.

charsal4950@webtv.net

Guest capt jake

'cause it's a hassle. I have been told that the walnut shell are hard on bare skin. Mixing the additive in the paint seems the way to go.

Now..I was going to paint the non skid areas first and then paint over the whole lot (fastest and least masking). Or should I paint and then put on the non skid coats?

jwentz4@attbi.com

Guest Ray Frechette jr

I went the walnut shell rt myself. there are afew coats of epoxy on top of it, and 3 coats of 404/414 barrier coat and 3 coats of paint. Each paint coat helps to fill in the grit and make it less abrasive.

It sure made fairing the topsidess go much faster.

refent1@prodigy.net

Guest capt jake

Thing is, the topsides are all done, fairing that is. I am working on hte bottom right now, but just thinking ahead to when I flip it (again). I don't want to mess with any more epoxy if I can help it. The stuff always drips somewhere! :D

All of the rubrails are varnished, I will let them cure for a few days, then onto the paint!!

Thinkin' off-white, no accent color. I have plenty of Mahogany for that. :D

jwentz4@attbi.com

Guest Ray Frechette jr

when jumping up to run forward and dowse the jib, untangle the halyards, etc ??? Tisk, tisk, tisk!

I'll never deny the Weekender is a charming little boat, but after sailing a cat-ketch with sprits I don't know if I could ever go back!

What, No jumping and tweaking lines and controls?

Egads, sounds like a motorboat. Horrors.:b

refent1@prodigy.net

I originally finished my decks bright. When they started to look tired I decided to paint everything. I painted EVERYTHING horizontal with the non-skid. It looks great. It doesn't look non-skid but has a nice texture to it. I think masking off would be more trouble than it's worth, and it would increase the odds of an inconsiquential screw up to be evident right where everyone can see it.

sirgordy@peoplepc.com

Guest capt jake

After talking with Graham, I have to admit that I am with Gordy on this one! :D I have the Princess plans but they are not 'in the plans' for quite some time.

Now Gordy, If I were to mask off and apply the non skid, remove the tape and apply the finish coat(s) of paint, would I still have non skid??? :) I like the idea of the non skid creating a visual 'line' on deck. OK, Paul's right, I am kinda weird this way! :D But don't tell him that!! LOL

jwentz4@attbi.com

Look Jake,

You're going to have to stop writing when I'm writing. Of course you'll have to tape off the mahogany. It's going to look great next to the off-white. Somehow I'd pictured some of the painted deck non skid and the rest...well never mind.

Many years ago I had a Silhouette MkII. It needed work when I got it ($200) I painted it black, covered the decks with canvas, (white) and the cabin sides and rub rail were mahogany. That was before my learning curve even curved, but from a distance it looked really nice.

You'll have to send pictures when yours is done.

sirgordy@peoplepc.com

Guest capt jake

We are starting to have a split thread here. :D

What about more coats of paint over the non skid? Will I still have any non skid left (with 2-3 top coats on it)?

jwentz4@attbi.com

Boy jake, you write fast.

The directions on the can give the ratio as a point to start. You might want to put just a little more in, but subsequent coats don't really seem to flatten it much. I think you'll get just the look you're trying for.

sirgordy@peoplepc.com

Guest capt jake

Boy jake, you write fast.

Practice practice!!

Thanks for the info! I appreciate it! :)

I will mask a border, then apply the non skid. remove the masking and then onto the final full coats to finish her off!!

jwentz4@attbi.com

Sounds good to me!

Any more pressing problems we can solve, now that it's too dark for me to go out in the back yard and give the dog a bath anyhow?

sirgordy@peoplepc.com