Wonderful to be on the water

Guest T. Nelson Surbrook

Guest T. Nelson Surbrook

After finishing a new rudder, this one of proper shape, I set off to give it a try on Lake Coeur d' Alene. The day was perfect! Wind between 10 and 15 knots, rain and the lake all to myself. I sailed for a couple of hours and had a great time. The first rudder I made had the wrong shape to it and at about 4kts a vibration would start. With the new rudder it seems a little eaiser to steer and there is no vibration at all. I got her up to 5.5kts at one point and she was smooth as silk. Returning cold, wet and with a huge grin on my face it was a good day. But then what day on the water is not good?

tnelson@surbrook.org

Guest Mike Pennington/ Fairbank

Thanks I needed that, it has been about nine weeks since my last sail, and sitting in the boat while parked in the drive way is not the same. Perhaps if I can talk my wife into spraying me down with the water hose while sitting with one hand on the tiller and the other with a line wrapped about my hand, it will be almost realistic. Except I would be this winters yard ornament in a freezing second. :D

You just keep on sharing, Sir, and I'll just keep on listening. Well reading.

P10100061.JPG?dc=4675393152724873295

jmpenn@gci.net

Guest T. Nelson Surbrook

John the shape of the new rudder is based on some posts here a while back. It is like a airfoil shape. The old rudder was just kind of knife like in profile and the leading edge was too sharp and the trailing edge was too blunt. The new rudder is made of clear western red ceder according to the plans that I got off the web. I am sorry I don't remember who posted the information on it but somebody here will. Anyway what I learned was that the shape of the rudder is very important to performance, more than I thought.

tnelson@surbrook.org