At last

Guest dengo

I finally got around to buy wood for my keel.

Unfortunately I had to settle for pine.....I know I know it's not the best choice but it's all I could find in my neck of the woods. I could of picked up mahoganny but it was 8 $ per linear foot versus pine at 0.80 cents a foot. Call me cheap, It's nice to start but i got to be able to fini$h.;)

Denis from Ontario

goyette@sympatico.ca

Guest Ray Frechette jr

Just Beg, Borrow, or buy a lot of clamps when you laminate the keel together.

Allows you to get out all of the cupping and get a good glue joint.

If you plan on beaching the boat you may also want to either laminate a sacrificial wood shoe on the bottom or laminate on some significant fiberglass, or kevlar to the bottom of the keel to protect it.

Other than that, Pine should be fine.

refent1@prodigy.net

Guest Frank Hagan, Weekender, O

Pine will work fine, Dengo. I wouldn't worry about it ... at 10 times the price, mahogany wouldn't be the best choice for my taste either.

fshagan@ev1.net

Guest T. Nelson Surbrook

Lots of boats have pine keels and experiance no problems. Now the fun begins, do you have a heated place to build? I built in an unheated shop over the winter months and it was uncomfortable at times. Good luck on the project and don't be shy with questions about building. I would advise that you check out the modifications pages on Frank's site for ideas before putting the project together. Remember, the most important aspect of building a boat is to have FUN.

tnelson@surbrook.org