Finally Joined

Mark Gudschinsky

I started scanning the Amphora to perhaps do it up as a plan or download, but in the level of quality I'd like to keep, it would be a huge file. As long as the books are still circulating, I can't see as the scanning needs to be done right now.

Peter wants me to get working on his Treasure Island book again, so that will be eat up all the fiddly time-wasting project motivation for awhile.

Mike

• 6 months later...

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 2 weeks later...

Alexander,

Use an oar off the transom as a rudder if you are using a sail. If you are rowing you should be able to turn the boat by pushing one oar and pulling on the other. That will cause the boat to spin. Another way is to pull harder and/or deeper with one oar while the other is raised. You should be able to change direction with Swimmer.

Greg

That is a problem with rowing in all sort of boats. The Amphoras' have lots of free board for wind to catch. I had a canoe one time that the wind would catch the front and spin me around when soloing. That one I solved by sitting in the middle and paddling until I could reach the shore, then stopped until the wind died down. You might try a long rudder off the transom; use an oar if you have an extra one, or build one. Unfortunately the only real solution may be to stay off the water when it is too windy.

Alexander's turning difficulty comes from his first try out of a set of sails we built for Swimmer. He's got a nine square foot square sail and a jib. Alexander was using an oar off of the stern of one side, and launched with quite a good breeze. Swimmer shot right off, but steering was a problem and then he had some difficulties with the lines.

In the end we decided that his rigger needed to do a better job, and that some practice in lighter winds would be of value.

So for now, Alexander is back to rowing which he does quite well.

Dragon's sail is about 12 sqft and is square rigged. That is a good rig for running before the wind, but does not point or tack well at all.

Sam and Ben used the sculling hole at the top of the transom for the rudder/oar. Does Swimmer have that? It is in the plans so I am guessing she does. It centers up the rudder effect and stears pretty good. Sculling is okay too.

Our sailors are learning many basics of boating with this contest and having loads of FUN!

We found a small anchor with road for about $10 at the local marine supply house, but have not used it yet. That should be interesting learning how to set and retrieve an anchor and not too expensive if it is lost somehow :lol: