Building a Core Sound 17

Guest Richard Whitney

Guest Richard Whitney

Greetings

I am just logging on. I am at the beginning stages of building a CS17 here in Auckland New Zealand. Although it will be some time before I am in the water, I have the advantage of being a 20 min walk from where the America's Cup boats are based, and every race of the Louis Vitton Cup and live on TV here.

Any one who is building a similar boat -drop me a line. Also now that I know this forum is here I will keep linked in. I have found Carla and Graham excellent at answering questions and support - especially from this distance - but it will also be good to chat to others in the middle of the process.

Regard

Richard Whitney

whitney@clear.net.nz

Guest Frank Hagan, Weekender, O

Welcome to the Forum, Richard! We're just getting started here too, so hopefully some CS 17 builders will be joining us.

fshagan@ev1.net

Guest Bill Paxton

Several of us who want to build the Core Sound 17 in the future will be eager to hear of your experiences. Please keep us posted of your progress. And of course, pictures are always welcome!

paxton_consulting@yahoo.com

Guest Joe Nelson

I think you have to have your own web site with your pictures posted. Then you can link to the picture here. There are lots of free web site locations. Geo,yahoo, msn, etc.

joe_nelson22@hotmail.com

Guest Joe Nelson

Just curious...Seems to be a lot of interest in the core sound 17 rather than the 20. Would you please explain why you would prefer the 17 over the 20. I am leaning towards the 20 myself. My reasons are; higher speed, more room for gear and people and weight, more sea worthy.

joe_nelson22@hotmail.com

Guest Gordy Hill

When I built my CS 17 there wasn't a 20. However, I didn't have room to build a 20 anyway. Actually, I didn't have room for a 17 either.

As I often sail alone, I really like the fact that the 17 is very easy to launch, rig, and sail. However, a 20 with a small cabin would be a great boat. I'd then seriously consider a sail to the Bahamas.

I agree with all the reasons you lean toward the 20. When they're side by side it's amazing how much bigger the 20 is.

If you're leaning toward the 20 I think you'll be very happy with it.

sirgordy@peoplepc.com

Guest Joe Nelson

Just wondering if there are any major differences between the 17 and 20 that are not appearent through the information included in the B&B web site?

A small cuddy for storage without accomidations would be nice. Might shed some green water away from the cockpit in rougher conditions.

I think I will go ahead and order the 20' plans!

Joe

joe_nelson22@hotmail.com

Guest Richard Whitney

Joe

I am building the 17 because it is lighter and easier to handle on my own ( getting it in and out of the water). It is also easier for me to store. Otherwise I might have built the 20.

whitney@clear.net.nz

Guest Frank Hagan, Weekender, O

We can link to pictures posted on the web, but don't have the capability to post pics directly here yet.

You are welcome to use our MSN sister site and create an album there. You have to register with MSN, and give them your email address to do so, however. Otherwise, there's no cost. You can go to http://groups.msn.com/smallboats and join there if you'd like.

Once the pictures are posted there, you can link to them and they will display here. To get the link of the picture, make sure it is displayed full size (not a thumbnail!) and right click on it, select "Properties" and highlight the entire "Address: " ... you'll have to scroll down because they look like this:

http://groups.msn.com/isapi/fetch.dll?action=MyPhotos_GetPubPhoto&PhotoID=nFgAIMLoFoi315BAiPA5z4FjwKRsKTPcarIlW9DMD4R!enru*aWo7Rw

Once selected, copy it to the clipboard by pressing CTRL-C, then come here and paste the link into the "Optional Image URL" box on the "Post Message" form. The picture will then show up at the bottom of your message (like the one here from the Welcome Page at SmallBoats).

The process is similar if your ISP gives you webspace for your own site, or using another picture hosting site. Hope this helps!

fetch.dll?action=MyPhotos_GetPubPhoto&PhotoID=nFgAIMLoFoi315BAiPA5z4FjwKRsKTPcarIlW9DMD4R!enru*aWo7Rw

fshagan@ev1.net