Expedition Planning

Brent

Time to make plans for sailing trips to come.

I have got opporunities to go sailing for a week in mid February and again late March, and would like some suggestions for places to do some expedition boating. A week of bird watching, fishing/crabbing, and generally messing about in shallow water sounds good. The boat is set up to provide a self contained platform to provide for all my needs, places that allow opportunities to go ashore are fine also. I am afraid NZ and OZ are a little to far for this year. So presently I am thinking of something from the Everglades to Lake Ponchartrain area.

How about some suggestions.

Brent,

Funny you should ask. I have a 40' Beneteau at Point Clear on Mobile Bay which I charter when we are not on it. I've spent a good deal of time on the Bay and surrounding areas to the east (toward Pensacola). I love to explore shallow areas, but cannot do so with the 5'6" draft of the 40 footer. :( (This is one of the reasons I'm building the Spindrift 10N.)

There are a lot of areas that would be nearly perfect for your boat between Orange Beach and Pensacola. You would be near civilization, but as you get further up the bayous, you can get away from it, too. Also, lots of relatively open water where I sail the Beneteau. :)

Feel free to contact me offline if you like. I have quite a bit of information on the area. 8)

Steve

Good to see that you are going to be able to take advantage of the trailerability of the boat. :D

3201 miles to Seattle from my front door. Just a little over 15 hours to Pensacola Fla for me. I was told by a fellow in the Seattle area, that he would be floating his boat, next year by May or June. I told Capt. Coffee Table I would give him a hand, to get it on a trailer out of his living room, :P if that would happen in May. So just maybe I will be in the Seattle area next year. :wink: Is Sno---whaever the mountain range that has snow in it in July? :P

York, Nebraska and Point Clear, Alabama are right at 1200 miles apart. we generally drive down twice a year to visit the boat. :( However, I am ready to make a move down that way and am working on a location within 250 miles or so from Point Clear. :D

I was looking at the Swamp Witch and thinking it would be an excellent Bass boat, or Bonefish, or gunkholer. I would like to meet the gentleman. Seems he is an excellent craftsman.

Steve

Steve the guy is an absolute fanatic when it comes to fairing a boat. He is a little craqazy too. :P:lol: SO what you are saying is that the boat needs to be used. HUM????HUM???? Sounds reasonable. Its a big day of driving for an old man like me, but we did Indianapolis last month and back and that was 830 miles each way. My middle son helped me drive, so it wasn't too hard. I have done several campouts and gatherings with quite a few of the guys from Wooden Boat Forum, before it got too craqazy over there. There are a few that I still communicate with, and we get together for lunches on trips where our paths cross. I have met some great people being associated with home built, custom one offs, and wooden hull folks. This would not have happened unless some of these internet forums had not be created by people like Frank Hagan.

This has also allowed us all to see parts of the world and learn more about certain parts of the world, that would have taken us a lot of time and money to do, if it was done at all. This gathering are a great time, and most of the time you leave refreshed and renewed that there are still great times to be had by stopping to smell the roses, in a different setting, for just a weekend.

Hey Steve, Oyster,

Met Bobby today. Great guy. Nice shop. The Swamp Witch is even more impressive in person.

The Gulf Coast region has some beautiful places. If you're into canoing the area has some great padding creeks. Lots of rivers and lakes for fresh water fishing. And of course the bays and gulf for saltwater fishing.

Of course I'm a little bias.

Later

Wade

I am on the mainland part of the southern part of the outerbanks, Morehead City, below Hatteras, as more people are familiar with. and worked from South America to Canada in a variety of marine related jobs. I have not done anything in the Gulf region. But on ocassions I travel for consultation, and for fun related times, pertaining to anything that floats.

Lots of good boating around your area. I haven't had any occasion to sail there yet, but it looks very interesting. I've flown over that area a fair amount back and forth from Florida to the northeast. Ferried a few airplanes into and out of North Carolina near the coast, too. looking forward to sailing those waters in the future.

We got sailing the Mobile Bay/Pensacola area with the Beneteau because we charter the boat, and have thoroughly enjoyed the waters and the people. We can't wait to move down that way to be closer to the boat and the warm weather. :)

Steve

I've not done any sailing outside of coastal Florida but can certainly recommend the area for some fine winter sailing. I just recently moved to the Miami area with my CS20 in tow and having the boat here has been a saving grace. My wife and I have explored many areas within a short drive of the city and while Miami in my opinion is an overcrowded and frustrating place the near shore waters here are still clear, warm, and shallow. I particularly like Florida Bay around the upper Keys for fishing and birdwatching and Whitewater Bay which is brackish lake within the Everglades Park. It's a bit of a drive from just about anywhere but the bugs aren't bad, it's not too hot, and we have some fair winds this time of year.

Pat

Pat, Florida bay has caught my attention. 30 miles long and 1 foot deep! The ultimate shallow water adventure spot, with uncountable small islands and sand bars.

Actually making the run from Everglades city, past Flamingo and on into Key Largo would be great. Take about a week I figure.

Look into the Texas bay system where we are- Matagorda, San Antonio, Espritu Santo, Aransas. All interconnected. All have many many opportunities for bird watching- In fact , on Espritu Santo and San Antonio bays you have a good shot at seeing Whooping Cranes during that time of year, off the Aransas Wildlife Preserve- that's where they winter. Plus migratory Geese and ducks. Plus if you get lucky you'll see Magnificent Frigate Birds. Also falcons out on Matagorda Island and Matagorda Island State park, which has either free primitive camping or anchoring off, plus free dockage and no cars on the island except for park service vehicles.

All complete with miles of shallows for crabbing, although the winter isn't the best time. Plus trout and red fishing.

But the weather can get nasty , OR be balmy . Just depends on whether we get a norther or not. Today was 80 - tomorrow is supposed to be cool and the next day cold- then warming again.

Charlie write:

Look into the Texas bay system where we are- Matagorda, San Antonio, Espritu Santo, Aransas

Years ago I lived on the Texas Gulf Coast and remember the bays of south Texas. For a time I worked projects in Victoria and Bay City. Oysters from Matagorda bay are a special memory. I have even been to Magnolia Beach! There are indeed miles of bays and bayous to explore.

When I see pictures of Travis' Belhaven coming together I can see it running quietly along the salt grass. Great place to sail. But far away from where I am now.

lol- yep- Travis has a hard time staying away from the shop. He drops by when he can't stand it anymore. I must correct you though- she's a Princess, not a Belhaven.

The Texas bays aren't really all that far away Brent. We've towed up to Lighthouse Cove on Kentucky Lake and recently been through Nashville on our way to Rochester picking up the Rhodes Meridian. It IS about a day and a long half day drive, but it's at least that to the Florida east coast too. And the Oysters are still there.

Where ever you go, I hope you have a blast. Boy do I need to go sailing myself :)