Mast Raising onto Pin Problem, Core Sound 17.3

My new to me Core Sound 17.3 is having an issue when I raise the main mast. It won't swing smoothly onto the bottom pin / bolt. It appears that the hole in the mast is just a tad high. The previous owner says he never had a real issue but "wrestled with it" sometimes a bit. I have tried swinging it side to side, pushing, pulling, etc. I didn't want to hit the pin with a hammer as its epoxied into the bulkhead. I considered using a bit of heat. Picture attached. I did have it straight when trying to insert but it shifted a bit for the pic. Can I ream out the bottom of the hole a bit with a drill? Other options or thoughts?

The mizzen raised and fit right on. Nut screwed on easy. I did it myself with no help, Hoping to get the main to work just as nicely. Incidentally, my 8 year old raised the main mast all by himself and held it while I fiddled with the things in the anchor well.

It was fun practice rigging the boat while the weather hit 70. We are back into the 30s. Looking forward to finish my "learning the lines" phase and getting her onto the water.

56111.jpg

I remember filing my hole a bit up and down to fit mine. I had the luxury of doing it with just the bottom section before I put the mast together. I don't think a bit of vertical elongation will hurt you much, especially on the inside. 

I used a round rasp on my drill to grind out enough material out of both bolt holes on either side of the aluminum tube to clear the bolt when swinging the bottom of the mast into place. I also positioned and firmed up the bolt placement in the tabernacle, bolt head and washer in the cabin and a nut in a recessed hole to make the bolt rigid (I also set it with a very slight angle upward, as I recall, since the bottom section of the mast swings into position with an arc movement.)

When I bought my boat I think the builder used a system of raising the mast, sliding the bolt through the holes in the mast from the anchor well and through the hole in the tabernacle so that the bolt entered the cabin area.  That required somehow holding the raised mast upright and climbing into the cabin to attach the nut from inside (I found that the bolt could unfortunately turn when firming up the nut.)  I prefer to have the bolt protruding forward, raising the mast such that the bolt (firmly anchored to the tabernacle structure) goes through the holes in the mast as it reaches the raised position, letting me then screw on the nut from the anchor well (the nut is in a good sized knob which makes tightening easy)… which is the process I think I see in the photo above.  To make it work I had to increase the vertical size of the holes with my drill rasp. 

My boat is in storage now so I can’t get to it for photos. My method works well for me… I stand on the trailer tongue (and on the spare tire I have mounted to the tongue) that gets me high enough to use my weight to press down firmly on the bottom of the mast to raise it, while also pulling on the snotter line to help pull the mast up. The bolt slides right into the holes in the mast and, while holding the mast up by the snotter lines with one hand, I attach the nut. 

I do the same mast raising process on the CS15 (which is easier to raise up than the heavier my CS17.)  I demo what I do at minute 4 of the first video on this webpage:

https://bandbyachtdesigns.com/cs15

I made my hole in the mast on both of by tabernacled boats into a slight oval.   I have a scrap of mast that was damaged in shipping that I have cut into a curved form fitting “washer”. The washer has the proper sized hole and when installed it distributes the forces around the perimeter of the mast. Or maybe not…..  On the main mast I have always considered that the load path pushes the mast into the radius of the tabernacle, on the mizzen pulls the mast base away from the radius of the tabernacle.   When I got my project to a point I could raise the mast on the tabernacle pivot, I wrapped the base of the mast with one layer of some plastic sheeting and put a blob of thickened epoxy to make the tabernacle fit the radius of the mast exactly.  Experience (aviation term for something you gain shortly after needed)……don’t use too much goo on this phase or the boat won’t fit in the shop. 

You should not have to fight with the bolt every time you raise the mast. You just have to get the geometry right.

The mast swings through a 17 1/4" arc between the hinge bolt and the center of the bottom bolt. Over the 3" mast diameter, the hole needs to be elongated an extra 1/16" vertically or it will bind (see the green lines). Remember that this is all hand made so the fit will have to be finessed.

The bottom bolt is angled 2.4 degrees above horizontal. Carefully cut a triangle out of cardboard  with sides 6" x 4"x 7 1/16". Position the 6" side up the tabernacle and the 4" side on the bolt to check if it is angled correctly. If it is close I would get a 3/8" round file and drag that mast hole up or down until it goes easily.

If the bolt was way off which is unlikely because you have already had the mast up.  You could heat the bolt until the epoxy softened which is about 140 degrees take the bolt out and epoxy it back in to the correct angle.

CS173tab1.jpg

CS17 tab bolt.jpg

• 1 month later...

I wanted to report back that I purchased a little hand rasp and opened the bottom of the aft hole a bit and its sliding on smoothly now. I have several other beginner questions and I'm trying to keep a list so I can get them out of my system all in one post. Stay tuned!

• Like 1