Electric planer

John Yow

I bought a Hatachi for about $90, then saw the same identical tool for $49 at Harbor Freight (except the Harbor Freight one had orange plastic parts instead of green plastic parts). It works fine for my "rough" work ... shaping things, etc. It is not a finish grade type of thing ... but then I don't think any of these are.

• 1 month later...

:oops: frank..good workigtool's=good work.but so many diff.tools on the market,i get my old tools from germany,Festo..high price it hold a live long i buy here a makita cutter hold 2 mon.i get one bosch 1 hour.

the tool's here is nothing its making only for the phil.or 3 class at your home its better......

:oops: frank..good workigtool's=good work.but so many diff.tools on the market' date='i get my old tools from germany,Festo..high price it hold a live long i buy here a makita cutter hold 2 mon.i get one bosch 1 hour.

the tool's here is nothing its making only for the phil.or 3 class at your home its better......[/quote']

Festo tools look like they are really well made, and they always seem to do well in the magazine reviews. I haven't been able to actually find a store with them here in California, though. You can get them on the Internet and from catalogs, but I always like to do the "touch and feel" test with tools first.

Also check out ebay. I bought a factory reconditioned Hatachi with a edge guide and metal case for $67. Also a Porter Cable orbital sander with hook and loop pad and dust collector for $49 including shipping. Some tools end up selling higher than you can walk in the store and pick them up for. But if you know what you want and what it sells for you can pick up some good deals. Tool king has an ebay store and they sell factory reconditioned tools with a warranty and their shipping charges are not crazy and sometimes included as they were on the orbital sander I bought.

Scott

When I had my small furniture shop my tool repair man recommended a Festo to replace an English unit that hadn't lasted 12 months. The Festo was only slightly dearer but so much better. It was lighter, more powerful, much smoother in operation. I guess it all depends how much you plan to use the item in question.