Planing/sailing boat

Guest Joe Nelson

Guest Joe Nelson

I posted a messege under the blue water thread but decided to open the question a bit further...

I am hoping to find a design that will double as a sailing and fishing boat. Since you have a few boats that plane and sail, I thought that maybe you could clearify my thinking as realistic or not.

I want a boat that will sail well and allow me to fish (anchor or troll). One area I fish is peticularly hazardous. The Columbia River, Oregon. I fish it currently with a 16' runabout. Speeds of 20 knots gives you a good margin for keeping control in fast current...8 knots maximum.

Specifially I want to sail/motor in this area. It requires a trolling motor for salmon fishing and I was hoping to have the capability to get at least 12 knots from the motor as well. This gives you a 4 knot made good speed. Should be enough to keep me out of trouble.

Are there any boats that will meet my desires or do I need more than one boat??? I dont know enough about hull design to know why such a boat could not be built. I understand the concepts about planing and displacement hulls, etc.. But not enough to know if my criteria is feisable or not.

Joe :)

joe_nelson22@hotmail.com

Guest Graham Byrnes

This is a very interesting question and a much misunderstood subject. I discovered at an early age that it was more fun to sail fast than slow. Also, the fast boats seemed to handle the rougher conditions better than the slower boats.

To plane, you must have fairly light weight, a relativly flat run and a wide enough transom to prevent squatting. To the sailing purists, who love their low resistance boats, what I have just said is heresy. This forum would not be the place to get into the technicalities, as it would be too long, but suffice to say, planing sailboats are not an oxymoron - and it is something many of our small designs do. For Example: During design testing, Tom Lathrop and I towed the model of the "Liz" (Blue Jacket design) with his 15' Bay River Skiff, "Loon" (now owned by the Sperrys). To the best of my memory he got around 11 Knots using a 9.9 outboard.

Based on her known performance, 12 knots under power and good sailing qualities are achievable with a Core Sound 20.

• 3 weeks later...
Guest Brent Sparks

I bought the plans for the Core Sound 20 with the same thought that here is a boat that is no doubt fast under sail, but might also serve well with a good motor.

The 9.9 HP looks like a good choice based on my limited experience with small boats and various size motors.

Anyone care to comment about the wisdom of trying to plane a small boat with the motor mounted off the centerline (assuming the rudder remains in place on the centerline of the stern)?

bljcatsparks@earthlink.net

Guest Tom Lathrop

Graham is correct about the speed of the Bay River Skiff with 9.9hp. With my 8hp Yamaha, with which I did most of the testing, Loon would get a bit over 9kts. I thought the 15' Skiff was reaching its limit with the 9.9 and starting to make a bit of fuss in the water.

Graham has a sister ship to the Skiff, the Bay River Runner, intended for power only, where the only difference of consequence is a flatter aft run which will handle lots more power and go like stink. As he said, the necessary differences in hull shape between a sailboat, powerboat and all purpose boat makes some compromises necessary.

I am amazed at the all-round performance of the Bay River Skiff which rows and powers so well and still outsails many pure sailboats under sail. I can remember driving some Lasers crazy with the ability to stay near them and even out run a few on occasion.

harbinger@cconnect.net