outboard motor mount

waynemunro

I have a bit of a problem mounting my outboard.. (to my weekender)

I was only able to get a short shaft motor, the ideal height between the top of the mouting bracket and the bottom of the transom is 16 inces (according to the motor manual). The transom is about 20 inches high, which leaves me with the motor bracket 4 inches below the top of the transom.

If I never wated to tip the motor up out of the way, then a small bracket would suffice, but as I would like too, then as I can see it I have only two options:

1) make the bracket stick out a long way so that there is room to tip the motor fully back within the bracket length (about 13 inches), which I am pretty sure would look very ugly

2) construct (or buy) a bracket which is able to lift a little (the 4 inches), so that the motor can be tipped back over the transom.

Can anyone think of a better solution ? this problem must have been encountered before.. anyone have any pictures ?

thanks for any help.

cheers

Wayne.

I don't know if they're still available or not, but we used to have a boat with a pull-up outboard mount. It slid up two tracks mounted on the stern, which then allowed the motor to tip forward. I remember seeing these on lots of 20-30-foot sailboats in San Diego in the late-70's/early-80's.

Mike

Wayne, I am having the exact same problem/delema. I bought a fixed bracket and I think there will be room enough to tilt the motor, though getting to the control while under way might be a problem.

I still haven't sorted it all out, as I am hesitant to start drilling holes if it won't work.

Two motors and BOTH are short shaft! Bummer!

Maybe I will start looking for the mount that Mike mentions.

yes, Mikes solution sounds ideal, though I have not been able to find any reference to someone selling something like that on the net.

given that it is now less than two weeks till my planned launch date I may have to whip up something less that ideal (maybe even the long bracket).

thinking on from what mike said i am trying to figure out how hard it'll be to make something like that, wooden bracket on the transom, holding some steel rods, which another wooden bracket can slide up and down. May just a rope and cleat arrangement for holding it in the up position... still on the drawing board..

I may be all wet, but I had a 25 hp Johnson in 87 that was a short shaft. I was looking at a new boat that would require the long shaft. The dealer told me at the time that a long shaft kit was avaliable for around 200 dollars. I don't know if your outboard is fairly new or not, if it is you may want to inquire about a long shaft kit.

I just bought a 2 hp Johnson with a short shaft and when I get a chance I will inquire about one for it.

The best I recall it was not a big deal to install.

Scott

Wayne

I had made a mount like it shows in the plans for my electric motor. A friend of mine loaned me an antique 3 hp Johnson and it didn't reach far enough into the water so I built a bracket that ran on tracks that I attached to the sides of the brackets. I looked and didn't find any pictures of it. I bought a piece of aluminum channel that was 3/4in inside and put it over some strips of wood that were cut to fit the size of the channel. I then screwed these to the mount. I then built a mount that slid down the the original bracket. I cut dados in the piece that fits the channels that I added to the original mount. It worked well for me to use the motor.

I was at a flea market and came across an adjustable aluminum bracket for $25 and have mounted it on my boat. About 3 weeks ago I found a 5 hp Mariner outboard at a garage sale for $250. I took Sanddragon out with it on saturday and found that is about all the motor you would want on a weekender. It just about puts her up on plane.

Thanks for the picture of the transom mount SeaEagle, but I am not too sure if that sort of mount will solve my problem (I may be mis-interpreting the picture), with a mount like that it looks like it would give me the extra depth, but I still wouldn't be able to tip the motor back, as the mount would be int he way ??

Also thanks for your description Pat, it sounds promising, though I am not sure that I have understood correctly...

.. here is a crude image that I have made.. am I on the right track ?

I can see that this would allow it to slide up and down, and maybe some pins or something to hold it in various positions.

[attachment over 4 years old deleted by admin]

Wayne,

With this type of bracket the bracket tips up not the motor, (i.e. you don't use the tip mechanism on the motor mount), you achieve the same result however.

I've attempted to detail this in the attached drawing (forgive the artwork :wink: )

Ahh, I see, thanks for the image, I see how it works now. I have to admit that I would be a little worried about the looks of the motor sitting quite that high above the transom.

it has given me an idea however about making a short mount with a small tilt into it, which should be enough to get the motor pivot above transom height in order that its own tilt can be used for the rest...

.. not 100% sure if this would work, but here is an image to clarify ..

(I too apoligise for the quality of my images)

Wayne,

Looks good! Your artwork beats mine anyday :D

I think you've got the right idea - although I would make the following design 'observations'.

I would mount the mount level with the top of the transom (then when you tilt you won't have to worry about hitting the deck).

If you leave the pivot point as drawn in your diagram, you would then design the movable section of your mount at a downward angle (i.e. ensuring the motor is in the water :D )

Between a mix of your design and mine - I think you are onto a winner!

Another option I have seen is as per the drawing attached (take 2).

This option allows the mount to be raised and then the motor tilted.

yeah, I have seen a number of those brackets around, I could go uptown and buy a wood and stainless one (NZ made), though they are a little expensive.

here is a picture of them:

ou01.jpg

from this site:http://www.tenob.co.nz/

though the one that they may is 350mm long, and if I was prepared to put a bracket that long on the back, then I wouldn't have problem with tilting the motor up :) (also the motor might be a bit too far away for easy control) . I thought about duplicating this in wood, but felt there were a few too many moving parts.

thanks for your idea about having the pivot point at the top of the transom, it is a good one, the geometry works out much better that way I think.

Hey guys, I hate to burst you bubble, so to speak. But, there is no reason to re-invent the motor mount.

This is a mount offered by West marine. $124 USD for a mount that handles up to 10 horse outboard motor. $134 USD for a 20 horse.

14946_f.jpg

Here's the link to the page:

http://www.westmarine.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/ProductDisplay?storeId=10001&langId=-1&catalogId=10001&productId=72753

Bob

Ahh, Robert has reminded me that I have seen brackets like that in that past... actually I think those look like a nice light bracket, more in keeping with the boat style. I might look at making something like that, so I can have the geometry the way that I want it. Will have to use aluminium I guess... but there has to be comprimise somewhere :)

but then I seem to be changing my mind every day - wonder what tommorow will bring.

the sliding one would be nice too, as would the tilt, but I did some more measurements on my motor last night , and if the top of the bracket is to be 10cm below deck level, then it needs to be at least 22cm out from the transom just to allow space for the motor to turn (it can do 360 degrees for reverse).. so my dream of a tiny bracket is flawed from the start.

I used a store bought fixed bracket, about $45. I use a short shaft Nissan 3.5 and it does clear to tilt up, but just barely. It would've been ideal if I had put it about an inch higher on the transom. The bottom of it drags in the water a bit, and the prop is plenty deep. The controls are easy to operate, too. So a short shaft is OK, you just have to get the height just so.

http://www.jtservices.net/P7110016.JPG.htm

Last year I went through this whole exersize to mount a 2.5 Merc on my weekender. I ended up with a home made fixed bracket and made the mistake of making the motor mount itself verticle instead of at transome angle.

It seems that most outboards asume an angled transome and as such have an angled clamp that won't except this. Now the Merc leans slightly forward even with the angle stop at its limit.

Just a thought after seeing your drawing...