CS17 plans on the way. Workshop and clamp questions.

Guest Anonymous

Guest Anonymous

Hi all

I just recieved a mail from Carla that my plans are being processed and will be shipped today! Very excited.

First I`d like input on the size of workshop that people have comfortably completed this design in? Considering that the boat is 17` long with 5`10" beam I figure that I will need at least a 3ft working area around the hull. This comes out to 23` x 12` Once the hull goes 3D I figure I will also need room for a bench, tool and material storage mast/spar assembly area.

So an extra 12 x 8 area sounds right to me.

I will be building in the Philippines where the availability of lumber is not a problem. Santa Clara grade Marine Ply and Power laminating epoxy. Hard and soft wood is available planed 4S on demand. I will use the local "Marine epoxy" for filleting. Mat is available but I need the plans for spec (weave, weight, size) before costing.

How many clamps have you found necessary for this project? How many and what sizes would you prefer? What ratio of G clamps to sliding clamps are preferable.

Build schedule will be Dec 20 - Jan 6, Locate workshop, procure materials/tools, assemble basket and bench.

Feb 1st - April 10th, Build CS17 "exactly to plan" (dont laugh). I will hire a local carpenter to help me. She will be lean and mean,(not the carpenter). I want a fast boat to try to keep up with the local bamboo outrigger fishing boats. I want the hull weight at 350 or below. I hope this project will be very well documented and costed.

For a name, I`m toying with "Ketch me if you can".

Any input, advice, comments or sugestions whatsoever will be grately apreciated. Particularly weight saving and performance info.

All the best

thebob.

Guest mustangermatt

My barn is 16 X 20. I have three foot shelves at on end, and a work bench down on side. I am getting ready to wire the hull together and so far every thing can be manuevered around. I actually use the shelving as my third support at times :-) Not an ideal workspace but it beats working outside.

The only real trick will be the unfolding part with the hull sides sticking up all over the place :P

Good suggestions ... "The Epoxy Book" from System Three is pretty good as a reference. I used RAKA Epoxy for my boat, and will order from them again because Larry there has been so helpful. The RAKA.com site has some good information also, but not as complete as "The Epoxy Book".

Now I'm really pleased that I asked these questions. It seems that Mat is not suitable a light weight structure, and I've been told why.

I'll be researching the diferences in "woven glass fabric and biaxial cloth" so hopefully I will be able to avoid over thick layers and keep the weight sensible.

I'm sure that the designs allow for some differences in build quality, I'm sure that Graham's job is complicated by the fact that his designs are sometimes built to less than exacting standards.

thebob

One of the hallmarks of great designs is that they are well within the capability of the home builder, and Graham's boats fit that definition. I have plans for two of his sailing dinghys, and both are well laid out (I'll be starting on one as soon as I can clear the decks for another project!)

The plans detail the weight and type of cloth to use. In my experience, tts good ask about substitutions, because sometimes the designer's specifications are there for strength, other times for handling, other times for one of the hundred other things I haven't thought of!

My situation is frustrating, because I will have to wait until next year to start construction. The advantage I will have is that I will be able to devote myself to the project full time, and pay someone to help.

This said I'm sure that some problems will arise when construction is underway. If that is the case, I'll be quite a long way from internet access.

That really is the advantage of having a forum like this full of friendly knowledgeable souls.

By the time I leave for the Philippines in December for my workshop search I think I should have most issues clearly resolved, ready for construction in February/March.

I'm quite sure that building costs will be quite enviable.

thebob

• 2 weeks later...

Well, I just went 3D a couple of weeks ago on my CS17. All of a sudden my garage got very much smaller. So far I am able to work ok. My garage size is 11' X 18' with an 8ft wide door. I built a frame on wheels so I can move out to driveway when I need a lot of room but have not needed to yet except to clean up once in a while.

I am using RAKA and it is working fine. I have used System Three on previous boats with great success.

Your building size sounds great. I wish I had that much room. Go for it!