Jump to content

Core Sound 17 rope layout for each sail and how it all is suppose to hookup.


musicmanx2

Recommended Posts

I just wonder if this line is running through the pulley correct so it can go down the mast to the  cleat and there are jam cleats aswell.

Main mast is on the right in the pictures Mizzen on the left in both pictures.

IMG_4641.jpeg

IMG_4642.jpeg

IMG_4640.jpeg

Link to comment
Share on other sites


23 minutes ago, musicmanx2 said:

I just wonder if this line is running through the pulley correct so it can go down the mast to the  cleat and there are jam cleats aswell.

Main mast is on the right in the pictures Mizzen on the left in both pictures.

IMG_4641.jpeg

IMG_4642.jpeg

IMG_4640.jpeg

Is this line going through this pulley correctly so it can go down the mast to the cleat or the jam cleat.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

If you look at the second video I sent you, at the 38 minute mark, you will see how this  all connects.  The difference being that your hook remains on the sprit instead of the mast.  I prefer to keep my snotters attached to the masts, instead of on the sprits.   It really is a matter of personal preference.  With the way it is on your boat, the only drawback is that you must reeve the snotter through the blocks every time you rig for sailing.  When they are on the mast, you simply clip the snotter to the sprit.  I suggest going with what you have for now, and consider changing it after you’ve sailed her for a while.  Both work perfectly fine.  It’s simply a matter of convenience.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, Don Silsbe said:

If you look at the second video I sent you, at the 38 minute mark, you will see how this  all connects.  The difference being that your hook remains on the sprit instead of the mast.  I prefer to keep my snotters attached to the masts, instead of on the sprits.   It really is a matter of personal preference.  With the way it is on your boat, the only drawback is that you must reeve the snotter through the blocks every time you rig for sailing.  When they are on the mast, you simply clip the snotter to the sprit.  I suggest going with what you have for now, and consider changing it after you’ve sailed her for a while.  Both work perfectly fine.  It’s simply a matter of convenience.

Ok thankyou. Yes it will take me some practice.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

I doubt it.  I suspect that the block attached there originally, but they moved it forward a foot or so.  The mizzen sheet starts by being tied off to the becket on the end of this block, which I circled in green.IMG_1823.thumb.jpeg.5a8d1e8b7baa2f09aea18b159f6d3208.jpeg  From there, it goes through the block that is attached to the transom.  After that, it goes through the main portion of the block with the becket in it (in this photo), and forward to the block at the forward end of the sprit.  From there, it goes down to the center jam cleat.  

Link to comment
Share on other sites

A friend of mine uses a hole like that for a small loop of shock cord.  This gets stretched around the clew of the sail, once it is threaded onto the point of the sprit.  The loop of bungee cord ensures that the clew remains attached to the sprit.  The points on my sprits are a little longer than this, and I’ve never needed the bungee retainer loop.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 4/1/2024 at 9:36 PM, Don Silsbe said:

A friend of mine uses a hole like that for a small loop of shock cord.  This gets stretched around the clew of the sail, once it is threaded onto the point of the sprit.  The loop of bungee cord ensures that the clew remains attached to the sprit.  The points on my sprits are a little longer than this, and I’ve never needed the bungee retainer loop.

Do you have any pictures of someone using the bungee retainer hoop since my points are not that long. I would have to drill a small hole on each sprit end with point.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Here is a photo of the bungee retainer loop.  My friend uses the tail of the bungee as a handle.IMG_1872.thumb.jpeg.12015b64d0ad398397deddc983bff3da.jpeg  Eye straps are nice, but they require more hardware.  They also require the sprit to be longer.  Depending on how much extra length you have, your sprits might not be up to the job.  Plus, if the end of the sprit extends too far aft of the mainsail, the tip of the sprit may strike the mizzen while tacking.  This can happen on my Bay River Skiff.  Not sure about the Core Sounds.  Here is an eyestrap on the end of a sprit.  There is one on either side of the sprit.  The sheet clips to the bottom one (shown), and the clew of the sail clips to one on the other side (not shown). image.thumb.jpeg.d81a10b2dca8fbdfb0a39993e59e93e9.jpegimage.thumb.jpeg.f8f397ee3acaeb66bf9f7b84990aee5e.jpeg

 

Please send your email address to donsilsbe@gmail.com.  I have something to send you.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • 2 weeks later...

If there is ever a Core Sound 17 mentor in my area to give me a run through of sailing the boat and would help me understand faster Im sure.

Saint James City, Florida 33956

I would love to have someone show me. I will take it out on a real calm day and see if I can figure out all the sail rigging. Maybe I will be able too. Don has shown me lots of pictures so I might be able to.

IMG_4724.jpeg

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 minute ago, Hirilonde said:

The fact that the padeyes are painted white, and the paint isn't chipped, I would say they have not been used.  All I can think of is for the block for a burgee/penant halyard.

 

They don't look like they have been used. Is it better  just tie a knot to lift the sail or use a clip on the sheets like some use?

Link to comment
Share on other sites

I hope you are changing subjects.  The line that you raise the sail with is a halyard.  It can be attached to the top of the sail (called the head) by many methods.  A simple shackle can be used.  So can a knot.  On a Core Sound 17 I worked on, I used a large ball.  This is simple, once you know the secret to using it.  IMG_8092.thumb.jpeg.1387d3ee016f1afd0a4da60168d79dc8.jpeg


 

The word “sheet” is what we call the line(s) that connect to the lower rearward corner of the sails (the clew), and never the sails themselves.image.thumb.jpeg.a833484d486943536a0a8aeee9caf147.jpeg

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...


Supporting Members

Supporting Members can create Clubs, photo Galleries, don't see ads and make messing-about.com possible! Become a Supporting Member - only $12 for the next year. Pay by PayPal or credit card.




×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.