"Bessie Mell" Launched

High C

Guest Anonymous
Nice work' date=' Beautiful finish, BUT Does all new boat pictures require boat fenders hanging from the side? :P WWJS. [What Would Jake SAY] :wink:

Oyster.

Funny thats the first thing I though too... dragging the fenders ack!

Beatiful boat though. Any idea why the original owner decided to sell it before it was completed?

Tom

I think the dragging fenders are fetching! Or maybe it's just that we keep forgetting to tip the motor out of the water when sailing resulting in similar comments like "You'll go faster if you stop dragging that motor". Think of it as a new style. And the boat is just wonderful as is the countryside in the background of these pictures.

Very nice!

Don't let these guys discourage you ... looks to me like you got the pointy end pointed in the right direction, put the boat in the water without getting the water in the boat, and stepped into the boat instead of doing the splits on the dock and stepping into the water. After getting it launched, everything else is easy!

Yikes Hortense, it's a boat show on the water. :shock:

But whar's the othr boats at? :?

Mighty purty craft there. Nicely done! :lol:

I tried the refresh and got the same thing. But when I did the new link it worked. Thanks for sharing. Now to get some wind so you can raise the canvas and get rid of them banner thingies. :wink:

JT, I saw your post on the WB Forum and your comment about flying your ensign (flag) without a backstay. Some folks put an grommet in the luff of the main at the proper distance from the peak and clip or tie the ensign to that grommet and the the one at the peak.

I put an eyestap on the end of my gaff to which I can clip a small block (I used a Harken Air Block) through which I have a line reaved. The line is tied into a long loop with two flag clips tied in as well. I run the ensign up after the main is set and tie the flag halyard to the boom.

This isn't a great picture but it shows the ensign being run up.

2818.jpg

The original owner sold the boat because he lacked the fortitude to spread epoxy!

...But he doesn't drag his fenders. :wink:

She looks great, John. Congratulations! :D

Who's she named after?

Thanks, Bruce. Bessie Mell was my maternal Grandmother, who lived 92 years. May all of our boats last even half as long!

I'm curious about the last shot on that page - have you removed the cabin bulkhead' date=' or is that a trick of the light?[/quote']

Simon, yes I did remove the bulkhead, and cut the cabin back about 40% in length. So I have a bigger cockpit, and what amounts to a hard dodger for storing the cooler, and keeping a few things dry. It's also big enough for one of my kids to lie down for a nap. I like this arrangement very much, especially the larger cockpit.

Dave, that's a great way to fly the flag, I'm off to get myself a grommet kit and poke a hole in the sail. :shock: Thanks!

Thanks all, for the kind words. Now off to new and distant waters! 8)