Another Spindrift Goes 3D!

Steve Day

Well, I couldn't put it off any more. I managed to get the boat 3D tonight. :D

It's quite a process, but I now have the hang of the it. It's really quite easy compared to other boatbuilding methods. I got the bottom stitched together and the sides are stitched almost back to the nesting bulkheads. :)

We'll try to get the remainder of the stitching done tomorrow evening. I tried to attach a couple of pictures, but they are too big for this site. I'll try to get them out there tomorrow. :cry:

I suppose I ought to explain the quote at the end of my notes. My father-in-law was John Bulkeley. He was rather famous around the Pentagon for that quote. When he was President of the US Navy Board of Inspection and Survey (INSURV), he would include that quote on his letters to the "brass" telling them just how their ships fared in the latest INSURV inspection. He did not gloss anything over, and he was instrumental in improving the condition and design of the Navy's modern ships.

That quote honors his memory.

BTW, if you hang around Norfolk, you might see DDG-84, the USS Bulkeley, which was named in his honor.

Steve

Guest ray Henry

Hi Steve,

I will be starting on a 9N in the very near future.

Have you come across any "make sure you don't do this!" :shock: or "man, I wish I should have done that!" :oops: items so far?

I (and maybe others) might be very interested in a brief list of those!

She's lookin' good!

Best Regards,

Ray

Steve,

May I ask you what sort of plywood you are using and where you were able to get it?

I have wanted to build the 12 footer since Febuary using Okume 6mm. I ordered from Noah's by phone, then when the wood did not show up I called and they could not find my order. That lost my window of time for building in the early spring and any trust for Noahs. Then I called Johnson's Workbench in Lansing several times for several months but they were having trouble getting it (normally they stock it) until I gave up a few months ago while also getting busy refurbishing another sail boat.

I have found it very hard to get any marine grade plywoods anywhere within a thousand miles of home. The shipping costs are prohibitive plus I fear receiving crap since I would be unable to pre-select the materials. So I am still looking for a supply source that does not also tack on a huge shipping bill and that I could trust to supply me with decent materials.

Thanks,

Greg.

Guest CharlieJ

Congrats. It's ALWAYS a neat feeling when a boat suddenly appears where was a stack of ply. Very nice.

Greg- look up Harbour Sales for your plywood. They advertise in the Woodenboat.

Wow! I guess I generated a bunch of questions. :shock: Here goes on the answers.

I'm sure Graham would echo this. Make sure you stick right to the dimensions he lays out on the drawings. I cut about 1/8" to 1/4" outside the pencil lines with the sabre saw and took it the rest of the way to the line with the belt sander. I tried to be as precise as possible following the line and it paid off big time. The boat fits very well. The idea of the bevel on the forward section is great and it makes it fit very well. The belt sander is albost too fast for that bevel, but it makes a nicer surface than even my very sharp block plane. Take your time with the stitching. It will come together, but don't rush it and work the stitches together to keep excessive strain off any one stitch. 8)

If I had a woulda, coulda, shoulda it would be to make sure you have at least two people present when you go 3D. That extra set of hands is invaluable, even on a small boat like this. I started the process alone and my buddy Bill showed up about 3 hours into the process. I wish he had been there from the start.

The other bit of advice is that when you start to do the fillets (I started today), mix the epoxy thick enough to stand by itself. My first batch was a little too loose, and I was working with it for a long time until it started to set. :oops: The next two batches were about the thickness of Bondo and I used a little more fast hardener and it went a lot better.

I am using Okume BS1088 plywood. I listened to the folks in the discussion group and opted for the lighter, more workable Okume over the Miranti I was thinking about. I bought it from Noah's and had absolutely no trouble with the order or the service. From my experience, I would recommend them highly. :D

It was pricey, but worth it. The 4 sheets cost $55.00 US plus $120.00 US to ship it to Lincoln, Nebraska. I had to go about 50 miles to pick it up, but saved an additional $50 shipping by doing so. They shipped it out on Yellow Freight on a Monday and I had it in my hands on Thursday afternoon.

I hope those observations help. I will be going sailing on my big boat for a week down in Alabama, so after tomorrow, you won't hear from me until after the 14th.

Steve