B&B is introducing a new baby- The Core Sound 15

Designer

Well, a new baby is being born in the B&B family. The Core Sound 15 is a little sister to the 17 and 20. Hull number 1, well along now, is being built for Dickie Newsome, the owner of Core Sound 20 hull #1. He loves his 20, but wanted a smaller boat to sail single handed - and keep the 20 for family sailing. (One can't have too many Core Sound boats can one?). His wife thought that at his age ( we won't mention exactly what - but suffice to say he's seen some history ), stepping the 20 masts single handed was a bit silly.

The boat is being beautifully built by Bill Heil - and those of you who can make it to St. Micheals for the MASCAF will see the quality of his work first hand.

The picture is of the hull - but she has her interior pretty much in place now - I'm behind on my photo duties :oops:

[attachment over 4 years old deleted by admin]

• 3 weeks later...

Hi Scott - We are so glad that you came out of the shadows, where you were lurking, and into the sunlight of posting! And let me apologise for making your life and decisions more difficult :wink:.

Yes, the boat is going to be offered on our web site. The plans are pretty much finished now - enough to build from - but we want to sail the prototype before releasing the plans to the general public...just in case I want to take a nip or a tuck. The prototype is well along, they are putting on decks and looking at getting sails/hardware etc.... Based on the building progress, I would expect I will be listing the plans early in the new year.

It is good to have you posting - stay in the light.

Ok Graham,

Let me know when you've given the design the thumbs up, because I pretty sure I want Hull #2. I should be finishing up one of the ugliest D4s ever made right about then and I'll be itchin' to make some new sawdust. (Besides the low cost, one of the best things about learning epoxy work on a small boat is that you only need a small tarp to hide the evidence from the neighbors.)

Scott

Scott,

I know what you mean. My first stich & glue boat was a PK78, the D4's bigger sister. It was the first boat work for me to do in about 25 years when I built her. She is still with me and I use her to play with in the river and small lakes around here. I have built several small boats since then and my next project will be the biggest boat I have built from scratch: the Spindrift 12. After that I should be ready to take on the Princess Sharpie 26 next year sometime.

If I could just convince my wife that the darn house is just a place to sleep, eat, and bath, and does not need to look nice or be maintained, I could spend more time on boats. Women!

Hey Scott,

I will definately be posting the information when we put the plans on the web site for sale. Also, of course, the launching photos and sailing shots.

By the way, for those contemplating where to stow the engine (3hp), you will be interested in the attached pics. Here's what we did on this boat and this could be adapted to several other designs as well. The owner wants the boat to be primarily a sail boat and just have an engine if he gets caught out in no wind and a deadline to get home. He definately did not want the engine permanently mounted on the transom which could foul the sheets.

We raised the aft seat to get enough height, like Robb Blackburn did on his CS20; with a lift out front panel. We made a strong mounting point with a 2x4 and a plywood web, the engine is amazingly secure and safe. There is even enough room to the side for the fuel tank. The engine is inserted from the front and is clamped to the bracket.

• 1 month later...

My boat friend just linked me to this new boat which looks like it'll be nearly perfect for my desires and I'll be very interested in the final product. My friend and I were having a discussion about it and speculating on the answers so I decided to go to the source. Graham, could it be possible to add the keel/centerboard/bilge board concept to this boat. Would it make it more stable and to what detriment to performance. Especially if one cared more about stability, safety, board up to windward in shallows, and comfort than for speed! That combo on the Belhaven 19 sounds like a really good idea to me.

Thanks,

Jim

Adding ballast would certainly add stability. The question is, is there enough stability? To make up for the smaller size, I increased the stability proportionally over the 17 and the 15 has less sail area. I think that it will work out about right. All that said, it would be possible to do a Bellhaven keel configuration. It would be a bit slower than the standard design and you would have more draft. You would be suprised at how you can work to windard in very shallow water in a CS, ask Gordy Hill, he has done most of his sailing in Florida's west coast.

• 1 month later...

Hi!

I was wondering what happened to the CS15? I've been in and out on this and the B&B yachts site on a every other day basis, hoping for the plans to come up!

Hope there's no problems with her, she seems to be perfect for me...

If there is a BOM available I would really want it so I can start look around for material.

By the way as I'm here quite often reading your posts and replies I must say it's a very nice atmosphere here and I enjoy it alot! And there's so many tips and tricks allover the place!

Thanks

Rune Forsberg

Bill finished the boat by christmas before his annual trip to Florida. The boat is just waiting for me to rig and test sail her. I have been using the weather as an excuse. I hope to be sailing her within a month.

She turned out very nice and I'm really excited about the design.