Belhaven going slow, Honey do's in the way

Scott Dunsworth

I have a few small things done and the # 2 bulkheads installed. I made them a little taller than the sheer so I could trim them later when I start framing the deck up. Hope to get the other bulkheads installed along with the center board trunk in the next few weeks.

Scott

[attachment over 4 years old deleted by admin]

Scott,

I have to ask, since I am relatively new to the site. Is this the first Belhaven, or just the first one documented so well?

It appears you are doing a very nice job, and I enjoy seeing your progress. I built a Hartley "Trailer Sailor" about 26 years ago which is constructed using a jig, frames and planking. I think I would have been better off if I had this type of construction available to me (or had known about it).

My spindrift is coming along as I am cutting side and bottom panels in preparation to "going 3D."

Steve

Steve I think I am the only one currently building one, although I believe Graham has sold several sets of plans. Mine is hull #3 and Graham sold a set to someone in calfornia few weeks ago.

Its interesting that you built a Hartly. That was the boat that I wanted to build untill I ran across Grahams Princess's and his Belhaven.

everything I have read about the Hartly says that it is a well tested design and I really like her looks. Arch Davis the designer of the Penobscot boats told me he worked for Hartly years ago and he really praised the Hartly boats. Do you still have yours? Hope to see some pictures of your spin drift.

Scott

Scott,

The Hartly was a great boat! I'll have to dig around in the old photos to see if I can find some pictures of it. I'm sure I have some. After my experience with it and how the Belhaven appears to me, I would say you have the better deal as far as construction goes.

The Hartly was a standard sloop design and sailed quite well. One of the things I enjoyed most in the Stuart, Florida area was the ability to pull the centerboard and rudder up and sail out on the sand flats near the inlet. I could sail quite well in 8 to 10 inches of water with just a little board out. It was a great way to get to the good clams! A fair amount of leeway, but managable. With the board down, she pointed quite well and was well balanced. I am being converted to the cat ketch concept and think you will have the better sailing boat when it is complete. Much easier set up at the boat ramp, too.

Alas, I had to move 50 miles away from the good sailing water to a job that took too much of my time and ended up donating the boat to the Chapman School of Sailing in Stuart. I don't know what its ultimate fate was.

I am getting the final shapes on the bottom and side pieces for the Spindrift and am preparing to cut out the bulkheads and doublers this weekend. I am hoping to be ready to "go 3D" either this weeekend or next. Pictures will be forthcoming when I have something worthwhile to show.