Kayak Finishing Question

gagabriele

I'm putting the final barrier coats of epoxy on my Birder 2 kayak and have two questions some of the experiened folks might know. I'm using West Epoxy (105) with the 207 Hardener for the barrier coats.

How long do I have to wait before I can paint the hull?

What paint would be recommended for someone without a spray setup?

Thanks,

Gary

I try to wait about a week before painting. It usually takes me that long anyway to get the sanding and prep work done. On some projects it takes 3 to 5 days for the epoxy to reach full cure.

My canoes are finished bright. The epoxy gets scrubbed with soap and water using a scrub pad, then sanded with 80 grit. Then on goes a good quality marine varnish. This is how I would probably finish a kayak.

My boat is painted with Interlux Interthane, a two part epoxy paint. I have also used one part paints such a Interlux Brightside or Petite EasyPoxy. The Interthane is much superior and well worth the incremental cost. Any of these paints need primer over epoxy.

I use the roller and tip method, with appropriate thinner...no spraying, and got results I am quite happy with.

agree on the Interthane. I've used Brightsides on four boats now and I'm sorry I met the stuff. Unless I sprayed it, it didn't cover well and I've found it to be very easy to scratch and mar. I don't understand why it's so popular.

I have Pettit's Easypoxy on my dinghy and it's a pretty good paint, but not as durable as the Interthane.