B&B gets a visit from Isabel

Designer

Ms. Isabel is determined to visit us - right here - in Vandemere. We assured her we would send her all the information about our boats she wanted - but nooooo she insisted an seeing it for herself! :cry:

We are busy battening down today - boarding up and waiting. We will watch. We know the electric and phone will go down. Luckily, these days with the outside contractor linesmen, tree removal and phone linesmen being put in place before the storm, recovery is much quicker - but it will take some time.

We will keep you advised as things progress. Hopefully, we will weather this with just a mess and no real damage.

Thanks to all of you for your good wishes and invites to wonderful places - hopefully we will get there to visit in good weather for a sail together!

The storm is headline news here as well - they are staying that locals who are not prepared to evacuate when asked to are being aske to write their names on their forearms to aid with body identification - that's one way to get people moving! we have gale force winds here in Auckland as well. Good luck.

A quick note to say that we have fared pretty well. The water came up about 1' higher than Dennis. I ended up 3" of water in my shop. Every thing of value was raised off the floor.

The water has started to recede now that the eye has passed and the wind has rotated around. There is some wind damage around town and amazingly we still have electricity. As I write this the wind gusts are coming back.

Good news, Graham! I assume that means Tom over in Oriental fared OK too. Seeing the pictures on the news, it looks 'bad enough' to me, though. Think I'll stay here in Calfornia (although my mother keeps warning me about the hurricane that hit southern California in the 30's, when the area I live in now was under about 12' of water. Gotta get that Spindrift built!)

Guest Anonymous

I just heard from some friends in Pamlico county. They said that houses are wiped out, and the feds are not allowing them to go anywhere near some of the areas. I am not sure of the relationship to you, Grahamn, but downeast of our area, was and is a war zone of water. Recuse last night of 150 on roof tops by the Marines.

Oyster

Guest Anonymous

Power and phone service is finally back on in my neighborhood. Well, I had to go out and do my own telephone repair. Had to call the repair service (in who knows where?) and had to pay for the call. That was a new twist for someone who spent many years in the telephone business. Their fault, my problem. They promised to send someone Monday, maybe. I got out my old "Butinski" and voltmeter and went out and switched some cable pairs and bypassed the protector on the side of the house, which was also bad, and got the phones operating. Can I charge them for service? Would not have done all that but the people on the other end of the line were so shitty.

Back to Isabel. She was the meanest hussy we have encountered so far. Highest water seen here in the memory of anyone I've talked to. 32 inches of bad water inside my shop and storage area and about 5 feet were I normally park our vehicles. Well over teh pilings at ur dock. Our house is well built and the main floor is 15 feet above sea level so we are all right from that perspective.

This was my first time to be in the low pressure dome in the eye of a big hurricane. It was a surprise to see the water rise and fall so fast on top of the normal wind driven tide. Had a well protected area on our west deck where I could sit and read a book while watching the maelstrom flying by only a few feet from my spot. I kept a log of events and time while measuring the water level in the downstairs with a yardstick. White caps among the trees on our lot. I could watch "Merlin", our S2 7.9M sailboat, slew and yank at the double mooting lines but she faired perfectly well. I cannot guess at the wind velocity but my log offers strong wind, stronger wind, STRONG wind and WOW, that was a strong one.

"Liz", the Bluejacket 24 was on the trailer on high ground and tied down to iron rebar driven into the ground and she suffered no damage. Although I worked very hard to get my shop and storage stuff raised up, there was still some loss. Water reached into the jointer motor, flipped the air compressor upside down and wiped out the elevator motor, all of which will need repair or replacement. Much othr stuf of varying value was lost or partly ruined. Some of my mahogany and cherry lumber stack drifted to various places up to a hundred yards away. I've not located all of it yet and some may be gone. Trash, flotsam and nasty mud cover everything in the yard and under the house. Cleanup progresses but will take some time. The burn pile will reach record height and stuff will be thrown out that should have gone long ago.

We fared much better than many in this area and we feel fortunate to escape with only some extra work and monetary loss. Many are faced with ruined furniture and the muck inside their houses. Across the river on the ocean side of Carteret County, many needed rescue from the roofs of their houses.

We appreciate the kind concern of many on the forum and hope all is as well with others caught in Isabel's path.

You may ask, why do we stay here? Frankly, unless we face personal danger, we are always glad we stayed. Some actions can be taken and, at least we can et to he clean up much quicker. Many who leave and lodge in motels upstate find the power out, no air conditioning, no open windows, no restaurants operating and a hard time getting back into the area. Of course, for a category three, we look at leaving, depending on the path of the storm. for category four, we most likely leave unless the storm path is well north of us and for category five hitting the coast, we are gone.

Tom & Liz