Thinking of ideas fasten to light canvas over this area to protect slpashing. Maybe hooks or snaps.

musicmanx2

I need something to cover sometimes and also be able to remove easy. Snaps might work nice and easy to install the snaps in the would and into the canvas. I will also keep things in large waterproof bags that will be stored there some times.

The man made it this way I guess to make it easy to step the mast and its easy to get to things aswell.

I will need a way to go around the mast too and keep it pretty dry but doesn't have to be perfect.

Also looking for ideas to cover boat when camping in rain. Maybe tie a rope bow up to a point on front mast then

across the stern mast and then down to stern of boat. Then I could drape a light canvas maybe rip stock that can be

folded up small when stored. Im planning these things out getting ready for some camping trips in the future.

Im gong to have a sports half dome in the bow area that some guys have used too. Just getting all my ideas together :)

IMG_3494.jpeg

It looks to me like a dodger is the best solution.  But a simple spray cover would also work.  There are several options for the attachment method.  I have my eye on the Loxx Pull It Up fasteners, although I have no experience with them.  Other possibilities are the ubiquitous Lift-the-Dot and Twist-Lock fasteners.  Simple snaps are also possible, but are notorious for ease of un-snapping.  They are all available through Sailrite, if you are a do-it-yourselfer.  I’ve included a link to the Loxx page on their website.  While you’re at it, look at using Top Notch 9 for the fabric.  
https://www.sailrite.com/search?keywords=Loxx

• 2 weeks later...

Don is spot on with the Loxx fasteners. They are excellent, expensive, but excellent. They're also relatively simple to install for a DIYer, just need the right size hole punch. I would use Sunbrella over Top Notch, but it's a matter of personal preference.