Glassing the Princess hull

Charlie Jones

On Thursday of last week I started glassing the hull. Did both sides of the bottom and the starboard side on Thursday, did the other side and transom on Friday, so these pics are from two days.

Graham- per our discussion on epoxy usage- I'm right now at 7 gallons used. That includes all filleting and taping inside, coating the interior (one coat) and glassing the hull, with three fill coats rolled on.

First picture is second bottom glass laid out. Other side of bottom is already done. I waited till it tacked so I could stick the new glass down along the keel line and not have it move. The cloth has been trimmed roughly to shape.

[attachment over 4 years old deleted by admin]

side cloth wet out. On vertical surfaces I use a roller first, then squeegee excess resin out into the dry cloth as I go. I normally work an area about two feet wide, then squeegee.

Temps in the shop on both days were right at 100 degrees, so I was working with about 10 ozs of resin at a mix.

By the way. on all of this glassing, I started at the stern and worked forward, smoothing any wrinkles as I went.

[attachment over 4 years old deleted by admin]

Wow! I love that boat!

I finally convinced my wife I'm not buying the "big ugly plastic boat" she wanted because it won't fit on the side of the house. Thing's 30 feet long with the trailer!

Seeing the Princess come to life makes me want to build her instead of buying a 19 - 22' plastic sailboat.