Core Sound 20 for sale

wkisting

Hi all,

Very long time since I last posted. I hope everyone is well. Just before the pandemic I had considered selling our CS20 and found a buyer, but he backed out (not due to any concern about the boat) and then I decided to keep it. Now, we just learned we will be moving from Georgia to Wisconsin, so I am highly motivated to try selling it again. We already have another boat to move, and moving two boats cross country seems too much.

Our CS20 is made with top quality materials and several nice touches (drop in berth boards, a little gimbaled cook stove, Lowrance GPS/depthfinder combo unit, a basket for binoculars/horn/anemometer, etc.). All parts are BS1088 Okoume plywood except the bottom panels, where I took another builder's suggestion to go with denser, more dent-resistant BS1088 Meranti. All exterior surfaces (hull, deck, open cockpit) were sheathed in fiberglass, using Raka marine epoxy. The bow/keel is trimmed in stainless steel for impact resistance. The transom has custom outboard mount that attaches/removes almost like a trailer hitch receiver (but nicer, custom built by a steel fabricator). I have a nice frame for a dodger with mounts on the boat, though we never had time to get it canvassed.

All parts are built to the original "Mark 1" plans, except that I took another builder's suggestion to add about an extra inch of curvature in the forward deck for aesthetic reasons. At another builder's suggestion, I also slightly increased the profile of the slim keel to reduce slippage in waters too shallow to drop the CB very far (works great!). The aluminum masts are built from top-grade parts supplied by Graham/B&B as spec'd, except the foremast has a custom milled removable extension at the top so the overall length of the mast is easier to fit on the trailer and in a garage (I have a folding tongue on the trailer, as well). Algae and barnacle resistant VC Performance (teflon impregnated) paint on the hull. Easy to apply Systems 3 WR-LPU paint in the cockpit. Mahogany rub rails, hatch trim, and cockpit coaming trim. Sails are slightly oversized and were purchased from Graham/B&B as well.

Sale would include everything: boat, trailer, sails/rigging (which show some wear but have a lot of life left), 2008 3.5hp Suzuki outboard (perfect match, in my opinion), GPS/depthfinder, battery system with integrated charger and master off switch--basically, everything you need to go sailing right away. I might even be able to dig up my old web files which where I had meticulously detailed the build years ago, as they have a lot of great information about materials, etc.

The only "issues": the boat needs a good cleaning and would benefit from fresh varnish on the bright deck. Keel near the stern has moderate damage where the paint was rubbed off by scraping rocks or jumping off the keel rollers, but in every case, the area was immediately dried, fixed, and re-sealed with epoxy (i.e. purely cosmetic... it only matters if you care about the look of the keel under the water, where a few epoxy-wood blemishes now show through the white hull paint). There are also a few random scrapes and dings, but nothing significant and all very minor cosmetic issues... Exactly what you would expect to see after a boat has been in the water a few dozen times. Always well cared for, there is zero rot, and really, the boat is darn near 'like new' except for the dust.

The motor was properly winterized, but has not been run in ~5 years now.

I think a very fair price would be around ~$12K, and would possibly go as low as $10K, which would recoup much of the materials/equipment, but none of my labor, of course (I chalk that up to the fun of the build).

Please email me at weskisting@gmail.com or text me at 706-513-4346 if interested.

Wes

By the way, you can find several videos of the boat (with dubious production value) on YouTube here:

- Sample setup time: https://youtu.be/DRecZZU8Pus

- Drop in berth panels: https://youtu.be/FzTfw0f-I4g

- Sample sail outing: https://youtu.be/Pdg1o8cfErk

- Gimbal stove (DIY): https://youtu.be/FvHYlfJa6Y0

- Demo of motor noise/performance: https://youtu.be/96rN3Feankg

A couple pictures (not recent... hasn't left the garage in ~2 years, but has been stored safely away from the elements/UV it's entire life, on trailer).

422494821_sailingwithdad026.thumb.JPG.a8c8f4130063fa6cb041a9eb7c46ecba.JPGbeaufortCS20pic.thumb.jpg.aa741a0df0ae3d890b2556eec6ed4062.jpg

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Wes, that's a beautiful job of building and everything about the boat sounds good. I drove from Wisconsin to Georgia once to buy a boat: a Welsford Walkabout. Rowed well, but I think the CS would sail better. 

I am surprised there are no replies yet. All private messages? I would like to know if you have sold it, and when your move deadline is.

• Like 1

What surprises me the most are the prices people are getting for well built B&B boats. I followed Wes's build, and he was a perfectionist.  I hope he can get his asking price, the boat is worth it.  But history shows lower prices are the norm.  I have re-evaluated selling my Lapwing for that reason.

• Like 1

Hirilonde, I've followed B&B boats for sale for the last 2 years or so and I think you are correct.  My opinion is there were a lot of builders who wanted to build a boat and were drawn to B&B for its design and clear plans.  These folks were builders, not sailors, and now they are willing to sell their boat at fire sale prices because it has just sat in a garage for five years.  That depresses the market.

There is also the build-quality issue.  I know your boat and this boat are well built because there is a lot of information on them.  But if there wasn't a build log somewhere, you don't know that about a random boat listed hundreds of miles from you.

I think anything other than a CS-17 is also a niche market.  Wes's is just the second CS-20 mk1 I've seen for sale in 2 years, and your Lapwing is the only one I've seen for sale.  You could probably get the price you were looking at, it would just take some time to find a buyer.

• Like 1

Hi all,

Sorry for the delayed reply. I was up looking for houses in Wisconsin this past weekend and it's a whirlwind of activity here getting our house ready to sell. I've had one inquiry about the CS20 on gmail that I'm about to follow up on today. Really, I'd prefer to keep it, but I'm in a difficult position where we have two boats... the CS20 and also a 27' trailerable houseboat we've been building for 4+ years that is finished on the outside but not started on the interior yet. Oddly, I've had people asking to buy both of them now, so we've got to make some tough decisions soon. The houseboat is harder to move, but it will be heartbreaking to sell it before getting to finish and enjoy it. The CS20 is the easier boat to enjoy and also to store, but that means it's also the easier to sell. We just can't have two boats to haul across the country.

Have to be leaving for Wisconsin by June 23, so time is short.

Wes

On 5/24/2023 at 9:29 AM, Andy B said:

There is also the build-quality issue.  I know your boat and this boat are well built because there is a lot of information on them.  But if there wasn't a build log somewhere, you don't know that about a random boat listed hundreds of miles from you.

Yeah, that is surely part of it. Many of those who could properly evaluate the boat upon inspection are the same ones who would choose to build there own instead. And those who would buy don't, and probably shouldn't, trust their ability to evaluate a possible purchase.

Wes, good luck with you move. There are a few Core Sounds in Wisconsin should you want to join the fleet.

But I especially want to thank you for posting your build log for others to learn from and to demonstrate excellent quality construction. I found it valuable when I was completing my CS 20.

The Core Sound 20 Mk1...Accept No Substitutes!!

On 5/24/2023 at 10:32 PM, Hirilonde said:

What surprises me the most are the prices people are getting for well built B&B boats. I followed Wes's build, and he was a perfectionist.  I hope he can get his asking price, the boat is worth it.  But history shows lower prices are the norm.  I have re-evaluated selling my Lapwing for that reason.

you're thinking of selling your beautiful craft Dave? Time for a change?

On 5/26/2023 at 10:52 PM, Murray said:

you're thinking of selling your beautiful craft Dave? Time for a change?

I was trying to sell it as I wasn't using it much.  I was hoping to get enough to fund another build, a small, classic, powerboat.  In limbo for now.

12 hours ago, Hirilonde said:

I was trying to sell it as I wasn't using it much.  I was hoping to get enough to fund another build, a small, classic, powerboat.  In limbo for now.

Why not both? Just make the powerboat smaller. The older I get, the bigger my powerboat is getting - harder to manage on land, still not big enough on the water. Question on your Lapwing; I think I read somewhere you did not bother with a mast tube for the mizzen, just the main? Would you change that? (I've made the tube for the main, just wondering how lazy I am thinking...

• 2 months later...