New Weekender Builder

Charles Newton

Hello, everyone

Had the weekender plans for a week now and I am about to begin the keel. I think I will stick to the plans except for the wheel. I Just think a tiller looks better, but thats my own opinion. There are some really nice boats built by you guys. If mine comes out looking like a fraction of what some of you guys have I will be pleased with myself.

i've never built a boat before but I am good with my hands, carpentry wise. So let the games begin! I guess part of my building costs needs to be a digital camera so I can show my progress. Well I will keep every one posted on the building process. And I know I will be asking questions on this forum quite a bit so just bear with me. All in all the plans look pretty straight foward (famous last words).

Thanks

Chuck Newton

Prepare for an adventure!!! Sawing, sanding, gluing, painting, cussing, bandaging, rinse and repeat if necessary. As she starts to take shape you'll become "one" with the experience. You will foresake all others and deprive yourself of human luxuries to work on the boat. Yea, it can be a dark path, bit frought with tons of self satisfaction.......and start drinking, heavily. It helps with the sanding!!

Welcome Chuck,

This is a great group. Good people all of them. Lots of good expertise and opinions. We don't always agree, but we always respect the right to disagree.

Get a good comfy chair, for as Frank calls it "moaning chair". You will likely get well acquainted with it, most all of us have. :roll:

Pick out good wood and ask questions if anything isn't completely clear. Better to ask first than have to correct it later.

Maybe it will even quit raining down there so you can build.

Thanks for the encouragment folks, Rains here every day. I got a 20x25 storage shed thats about to gain a barn door entryway to hold the weekender. As for starting to drink heavily while sanding...Got that covered. Just need a few suggestions on how to break it to the little lady that Im going to build a boat. Though I feel a bit justified, I just spent the last 4 years of my life working myself to death putting her through law school, I still feel guilty when shes at work and I'm out buying power tools. The good news is shes scared of my work shop ( it sits off in the woods aways) I think I can get it built and fiber glassed before she even knows it there. Who knows. :wink:

Sounds and looks like you are gonna fit in here real well Chuck.

You could not ask for a better crew to help you along with your project.

Quite a range of knowledge here.

Best of luck with the stealth project.

Rain every day? Man, we have had almost no rain since the end of January. Instead of rain we get fire.

So, you know, sometime before the launch you'll have to come clean about the boat! :lol:

The plans are pretty good, and all the "gotchas" we know about are addressed in our Weekender Plans FAQ at http://www.messing-about.com/weekender/wkFAQ.htm

Good luck! Take lots of pictures!

Chuck,

welcome to the crazy bunch. You will certainly fit in - the ceiling is as high as the sky here.

I suddenly understood that you probably have your shipyard just a few miles away from my address :!: where my FreeAtLast (launched last February) sits on a trailer constantly pointing to Biscayne Bay.

If you need to see something in full scale at any stage, or there is anything you think I can help you out with, please don't hesitate for a second contacting me. You will be welcome anytime.

I'll send my phone numbers etc. to you on private mail.

As you may know, we also have Bob Cox in the area. He is in the last stages with a Vacationer (basically rigging left) and he may even be located closer than I am. Great guy for all sorts of advise.

I hope to hear from you soon :D:D :!:

Ok, Dad's got the atlas with him in Indiana and not being from Florida origanally I have no idea where Crestveiw is. If your close, your always welcome to come by or call for advice. Knut built the Weekender so he would be the logical first choice, but of course I'm always glad to show off my Vacationer. :D

Speaking of showing off, I love this shot.

100_0168.JPG?dc=4675436296133686211

Bob

Thanks Knut, and Bob,

I am sure I will need help in the future. Crestview is 40 miles east of Pensacola In the panhandle. I am about 30 miles North of Ft Walton beach and Destin. (up in the sticks).

That boat is looking sweet bob.

I am looking for foster homes for the Rats and squirrels I ran out of my shop. Two days of cleaning out all the stuff I have been saving has left a good sized pile of refuse out side the front door( I accumulate junk) So when the little lady saw the stack of junk I had to come clean. She took it quite well. She mostly just shook her head and laughed. This means I could inform my seven year old I was building a boat. Man, is he excited. Well, if all goes well I will start the keel by monday.

I put a little fridge stocked with beer in the shop (For use after using power tools) And I did keep an old recliner in the corner for moaning purposes. Going wood hunting friday.

Later and thank you for your support

Chuck

Chuck there is a Vacationer (Saralee) owned by Craig Gleason in Fort Walten Beach and a Weekender being built in the same area. As an added bonus, our resident sail maker Paul J. just moved into that area as well.

Here's a link to Craig's website:

http://members.cox.net/bb343/index.htm

Here's Paul's website:

http://ultasail.com

Contact Craig and he'll have the name of the person building the Weekender. I'm sure he'll be willing to go for a sail some time as well.

And, your always welcome if you make it down to the Miami area.

Bob

I am looking for foster homes for the Rats and squirrels I ran out of my shop. Two days of cleaning out all the stuff I have been saving has left a good sized pile of refuse out side the front door( I accumulate junk) So when the little lady saw the stack of junk I had to come clean. She took it quite well. She mostly just shook her head and laughed. This means I could inform my seven year old I was building a boat. Man' date=' is he excited. Well, if all goes well I will start the keel by monday.[/quote']

Funny, that's the same reaction my wife had. I kept getting the smiles and head shaking right up until I went 3-D, and then she said, "Hey, that is a boat" and had this surprised look in her eyes.

I'd love to be able to hear what she told her sisters and girlfriends in those early days. Near the end, I had to convince her it didn't need solid bronze cleats, etc.

Chuck,

I got so excited seeing Crestview and Florida (believing that I read Pinecrest) that I jumped on the keyboard and wrote my posting. Of course, Crestview is not really the same as the South Miami area 'Pinecrest' so when your explanation came about where you are I came crashing down to reality. Let us put it this way: It would have been perfect having you in Pinecrest (with the fridge full of bear and a good visitor's chair), but I am sure you will do well anyway :!: :!:

I will take a crash course in geography one of these days. Good luck with the keel and and all the small steps following.

Chuck' date='

It would have been perfect having you in Pinecrest (with the fridge full of bear and a good visitor's chair), but I am sure you will do well anyway :!: :!:

.[/quote']

Of course a fridge full of bear really needs a barbeccue grill near by to enjoy it. No one really enjoys cold bear. :roll:

Hmm . . . I don't know about that. You slice it thin, top it with a little genoa salami and some havarti, some good mustard on a crusty roll and mm mm that's good eating.

Actually, I am also a regular user of MapQuest, but this tool is like any other tool in boat building and other activities, you need to know that you need to use it and you need to recognize that you have it. I short-circuited the whole process by just reading a map-name, seeing Florida and in my mind linking it to Miami (as Pinecrest!). That was a big blunder in terms of miles off the target. :oops:

However, the worst thing is that I lost out on having a fellow Weekender-builder in the neighbourhood (so to say) and one with such a nice and well prepared infrastucture (moaning/visitor's chair etc!) at that. :(

Don't get me wrong. Any new Weekender-builder and Forum participant is a big added value to us all. Potentially, we may even sail together some day :!: :D

Bob has already very well covered your first questions regarding the keel so no need to elaborate. Only, don't get too much bear in the glue. It is negative for quality :wink: