CS17 coamings

Guest ricardo de oliveira

Many questions about it: Laminated? Steam bended? How many layers? How thick? Only glued? Glued and screwed? Which wood? Doubts, doubts, doubts...

Thanks for your attention.

Ricardo

Ricardo,

Good to hear from you again.

I made coamings for the CS20 from 5 mm marine plywood. On my boat the coaming runs across the front area of the cockpit only. There is no coaming on the sides to make for a more pleasant place to sit while hiking out.

A single piece of plywood on both starboard and port side runs from the boat centerline out and around the curve to the straight section running aft. The pieces are about 900 mm long as I recall.

By setting a straight edge across from gunwale to gunwale to use as a reference line I was able to get the proper dimension from the top side and bottom side of the coaming. This was tricky as both the top and bottom of the coaming curve with the deck shape.

I was to lazy to fire up a proper steamer, so I put the pieces in a black plastic bag along with afew litres of water, and set them on the concrete for an afternoon in the sun. After this torture treatment, the wood pieces compliantly took the desired form. Clamps held them in place overnight, by which time the shape had settled enough to remove the clamps and then epoxy the bent wood into place.

After fitting these pieces in I decided I did not want additional plys in the coaming. I may reinforce the 5 mm section that rides above deck with some mahogany trim, but the single plywood layer is probably adequate.

hi, brent

A sun-powered-low-tech-very-cheap-bending-technique! Just my speed...

Do you think it's going to work with 5 mm thick solid wood?