Update on 3/8 Okoume plywood short shot

racerx632

An update for those who were interested in how she held up after a season of use.  I am happy to report I’ve had no issues at all.  I think the 3/8 is going to work out just fine. Spent the summer using her almost exclusively.  With as much abuse as I give my long shot.

here’s a shot of the short and long shot on my last adventure of the season.

990E8CFF-CFA3-4C25-AA87-4B17F074C44C.jpeg

• Like 2

• 7 months later...

@Scott Pettigrew I used Baltic Birch for my kayaks and BS 1088 Okoume and Sapele for my B&B boats.

I just bought a 4x8x1/2 sheet of Baltic Birch.  The price has skyrocketed here in central Florida.  I paid $150, and now there are repairs on the finished surface. I checked my old suppliers in RI and the 5x5 is now $137. It does not seem to have repairs in the picture. Well, the BB used to be cheaper.

4 hours ago, Hirilonde said:

@Scott Pettigrew I used Baltic Birch for my kayaks and BS 1088 Okoume and Sapele for my B&B boats.

I just bought a 4x8x1/2 sheet of Baltic Birch.  The price has skyrocketed here in central Florida.  I paid $150, and now there are repairs on the finished surface. I checked my old suppliers in RI and the 5x5 is now $137. It does not seem to have repairs in the picture. Well, the BB used to be cheaper.

Being located in the middle of the country and with no local suppliers, shipping costs for Okoume are brutal. If I need say 10 sheets, NBD, but for my Ravenswood build I only needed half a sheet, and shipping was still $150.  No thanks.