Newman

Newman

I started building my Marissa November 12. The plans are great, details make the difference. I picked up my kit from Alan and Nate at there shop, unbelievable operation. I’ve included a few photos of my progress and will try to continue posting during the build.

I applied three cotes of epoxy to any of the parts that did not have to be bent, trying to avoid bending over when the hull is complete.

Having some issues bending the chines but that’s to be expected. Third time is a charm.

BC0DEFA2-0FD9-4843-A915-1BBC7693E929.jpeg

D529BF96-EE7D-4D3C-9DE8-9009287BEE7D.jpeg

196819AA-F0AD-4111-BD8E-41CF52E9081D.jpeg

06FB3AD1-A042-4318-B473-8275DC43FC98.jpeg

3FCE5D28-22CD-4240-B88C-AD5ECF180536.jpeg

• Like 2

Welcome to the forum.  I love that boat!  You’re off to a great start.  Honestly, I don’t think three coats of epoxy would affect the stiffness of your panels.  I’ve even applied a layer of glass to one side of some panels before the assembly of hull planks.  It didn’t matter.

16 hours ago, Don Silsbe said:

Welcome to the forum.  I love that boat!  You’re off to a great start.  Honestly, I don’t think three coats of epoxy would affect the stiffness of your panels.  I’ve even applied a layer of glass to one side of some panels before the assembly of hull planks.  It didn’t matter.

Years ago I epoxy coated a foredeck for a small dinghy  and set it aside for a few weeks while I was building the hull. It cracked when I tried to fit it, yet had easily bent when I first fitted it weeks before. My first lesson in epoxy post curing (hardening of epoxy over time- somewhat temperature dependent). Since then I precoat panels on a flat table not long before I fit them so they are still flexible. Ideally, I like to hot coat while the epoxy can still have a chemical bond but that's not always possible.

Cheers

Peter HK

• Like 1

Newman,

I must say, your photos look inviting and I did think about the Marissa build before I started on my ski-boat build in 2021. But, my desire for the old style low-to-the-water Stiletto (that I wanted to build since the 1960’s… and I bought the plans in about 1982) simply won out.  (At least I built it with wood and epoxy I purchased from B&B. 🙂)

The Marissa is probably a much more capable boat than mine, especially in bigger water… but I’m really enjoying the feeling of sitting right on the water in my now completed boat.  It has a kind of a sports-car feel in its handling. 

Enjoy the build.  Enjoy day-dreaming about using it when done.  I look forward to more photos and updates on your progress. 

• 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...