CAT KETCH ARTICLE AND PICCIES

Rob Blackburn

I found this old English boat magazine in the study the other night and thought you guys might find the article interesting.

It shows the Gary Hoyt cat ketch at full stretch and it really is a pretty picture.

http://homepage.mac.com/blackburns/filechute/CAT-KETCH.zip

This is scanned in in pdf format so should open on any machine. I have uploaded it to our .Mac website so it should download and save to your desktop.

Rob Blackburn.

Thanks for the info. I was disappointed with the set of the 2 ply wrap around sails. I've seen them a lot and I see they are still not getting a great foil with them. so far I've avoided them as adding weight and expense and handling hassle without any real payback in terms of airfoil, efficiency etc...

• 5 years later...

Gary Hoyt abandoned the idea after several attempts (his version of the Ljungstrom rig). The low pressure side would pucker and suck off flow from the high pressure side, trailing edge flutter, etc.. He tried a number of things to keep the material "attached" including vortice generators of different configurations. None really solved the problem, so practice pretty much killed the theory. Several notables have fooled with this concept.