Proud builders

Small Craft Advisor created a virtual boat show in which its members can write up a few things about their sailboat. They invited us to send in an article.  Then email letters went out with a variety of submitted boats and articles. 

Today, I spotted in the latest Small Craft Advisor email that Dennis submitted about his beautiful Chebacco build:

Chebacco, Dennis Gamble: “Here's a recent photo of my Chebacco 20 Moonshine. My first modification was to add a short bowsprit and jib with a roller furler.  With the jib set and the mizzen tweaked just right, she will self-steer for minutes at a time. The lead of the mizzen sheets is not ideal. Off the wind, given half a chance, she'll hook the motor. A boomkin might be in order.”

81296D58-4FFB-47EE-8D3A-165AF1458533.thumb.jpeg.51af0a4d9ffda1e02bd6a433e84e965e.jpeg

The photo Dennis submitted is one I took of him in his Moonshine with a couple guests heading up the river to the Highway 34 bridge.  It was a really beautiful evening… and a nice shot of his boat.

Dennis on the other hand took a photo of MY boat as well when my wife and I passed by him. It’s one of my favorite photos… thank you Dennis. (The photo of my wife and me in Norma T is below.)

This is the article I submitted that was included  in an earlier email from Small Craft Advisory:

B&B Core Sound 15, Ted Johanson: “When I retired in 2020 I stumbled upon the BandBYachtDesigns.com website and bought the full kit of their Core Sound 15 sailboat. The “stimulus” checks my wife and I received during COVID covered most of the kit cost, and stimulated a great small business. The kit had everything needed (except for screws, nuts, and bolts to mount the the fittings.) All pieces were exactly cut and fit together beautifully. The boat was finished and launched within 3 months of my getting the kit home. 

Some reasons that I enjoy this boat so much:

1. Alan Stewart of B&B made a series of twenty videos that taught and showed me every step in building the boat… ‘I can DO this!!’

2. I appreciate all of the coaching and answered questions offered by B&B during the building process. 

3. I like how the cat ketch boat sails and how the hull moves through the water. 

4. Set up at the boat launch takes ten or fifteen minutes, unless someone comes up to inquire about my boat… a frequent occurrence, but I enjoy talking about the boat. 

5. I can pull it to the lake with my very small car and can push the boat around my yard for storage. 

6. The CS15 can comfortably hold 5 or 6 people with the wide open cockpit and seating.

7. It seems like a safe boat and will not ‘turtle’ with the mast float.  

8. My wife and family enjoy sailing it.”

D856468D-70C1-4AF0-8CA0-5D54BD68C303.thumb.jpeg.dd27a57b12b3199d131b677388640fca.jpeg

Yep, I really like the above photo that Dennis sent me.  The second photo — below — came from somebody on the committee boat during a race:

ADBD26E7-4CC8-4193-BF20-96029675DC87.thumb.jpeg.bb270bc6dc6def5c8df647ca08433c49.jpeg

So, yes, these two boat builders feel good about their sailboats and enjoy sailing them. 

😁