Modifications to Avocet

Don Silsbe

@PadrePoint— Yes, it’s going to be a two person operation to put the centerboard onto its pivot.  Somebody, most likely me, will lay on the driveway, pushing up on the board, while someone in the interior lines everything up.  It will be fiddly, but not near as bad if the starboard plate is glued on afterward.  I just hope I don’t get so much squeeze-out that I glue the c/b in place!

I just noticed this discussion. You commented to Graham's picture, "It told me to install the c/b before installing the starboard extension." My thought is that he's just showing the board in place to illustrate the rigging. It must not be in the way when you actually install the starboard side extension so you can press the glass "flange" in place with a removable backing plate with wedges., and glass the bottom of the inside of the trunk to the hull  exterior bottom.

7 hours ago, Don Silsbe said:

I just hope I don’t get so much squeeze-out that I glue the c/b in place!

Another source of angst!!

1ACAD4C9-1E39-4A15-B38F-A6BF80CE1C28.thumb.jpeg.f295c359a3bd2f538535fcfc96a47e48.jpeg

I thought about that , Chick (you added the above post when I was making this post,)  There would likely be be some attention needed from underneath reaching up and into the trunk to the new trunk butt joints of new and old material,  plus perhaps some attention from underneath to seal the trunk to bottom planking.  An installed centerboard would probably impede that.  

Chick is right. The CB was in place just for a test fit. Installing the board later is easy but it it is better with two people. I would hate to find out after the job was finished that the CB would not fit or there was something wrong with the pennant. Also you need to glass the inside trunk lower edge to the bottom, which cannot be done with the board in place.

To install the CB I lower the pennant through the trunk and tie the stopper knot in the board. I like to be inside the boat and have my assistant raise the board while I take up the slack in the pennant. We know that there is only about 3/8" clearance in front of the board and the leading edge of the CB is about level with the bottom when raised. The key is the permanent marker X that you can see in the photo. My assistant raises the board flush with the bottom and as far forward as he can. I am looking through the pin hole with a light for my X. I can then direct slight movements watching the X until I can see the hole. I am ready with an awl or #1 phillips screwdriver to poke into the hole. I can then wriggle the screwdriver to properly align the holes. I have the pin ready, I holler to my helper to not move the board and quickly withdraw screwdriver and replace with the CB pin.

Oh yeah.  Taping the trunk to the hull.  You outlined a very good process for me.  Thank you.  Do I need to worry a out/try to fillet the starboard plate, once I glue it to the rest?  I could do that from below, with a long stick, I suppose.  I do plan to apply glass to the “dome” on the interior (top) side, for added strength.  

@PadrePoint— My engineering mindset has me “running the trap line”, thinking first of ways that things could go wrong.  Then, I think of ways to prevent it.  It’s all part of the “fun”.

Today, I added a fillet and glass to the port side of the extension.  I’m happy with how it came out.  ED9E21B1-B012-412E-9600-02D6780664F3.thumb.jpeg.4293d148890218687bd6522c9653341a.jpeg

Next, after another coat or two, I will drill my pivot holes.  Then, I need to wait for this polar express train to leave the station, before I attempt to install these parts.

11 hours ago, AmosSwogger said:

I think we should promote Don to "Centerboard Trunk Modification Surgeon"; he is a little too advanced to be a mere technician.  The promotion should rate him a team of nurses standing by with trays of tools and epoxy.

Right on, Amos. You nailed it. 
😂

• Like 2

@Kennneee  Enjoy your sail!  Here in NC, we have been blessed with the Christmas gift of a visit from the Polar Express.  The outside temperature was 9F/-13C!

To All:  Yesterday, I got my heavy second coat on the glass, due to my use of the cotton ball test.  I’m going to use restraint now, and not touch this until after Christmas.  (If you look closely, you can see were I placed my hand in the still-green epoxy.  So much for touch.)

Merry Christmas!

07EC9549-E608-49B3-8ED5-FDFC09A572A8.jpeg

55 minutes ago, Kennneee said:

Don- If we weren’t foolish and optimistic we would never build boats.  Glad to have those traits or life would be boring!.  About to head out on Lula, the result of the above mentioned parts of my personality.

Ken

I don't see boat building as being foolish.  Some people blow their money away on drugs, cigarettes and wild wimmin  and have nothing to show for the spending but  medical bills sometimes.   I think we are some of the smartest people on the planet. Boat builders are carpenters that turns straight wood into round objects.

They are electrical engineers, world navigators, and many have a way to keep wimmin happy as they spend their money on the boat building addiction, and some even smile at you in the process.  Now that takes a genius to pull some of this boat building off. 

On a side note there is real artistry on display by so many of your guys.  Maybe staple them to the wall and call it art and put a price tag on them for a half million bucks.   Some of us foolish folks try to sell them as floating toys, which brings us a return of about half the materials, you know. :<}}

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• 2 weeks later...

Today, I cut the slot for the c/b uphaul, and finally glued in the port trunk extension.  I need to do a little fillet and taping, either tonight or tomorrow morning.

EA4B1A10-38AE-446F-B9F4-14F0E03E23F9.thumb.jpeg.702d4ae506e2657d8ef49060fc479239.jpeg4B6D354C-F224-4A06-9957-8FBD94B7C1EE.thumb.jpeg.f6bdcca867162bbab0224238e0ea890d.jpeg

Before I did that, I checked to make sure all the parts didn’t interfere.8B7FB4BF-D543-42A4-BDBA-E80B01B589C7.thumb.jpeg.00516ff2b7482f2f1022500edf2478d3.jpeg

I also made a template for the changes that’ll need to be made to the port bunk cushion.9081F555-D8C9-4106-9AC6-1FD04F25652C.thumb.jpeg.97b683e555261ad069fe273bb6e2fece.jpegCC1A880A-1200-40C5-B17D-0A997B0F20C7.thumb.jpeg.536203b602fbf35f696a50d1e9cefb4f.jpeg

186602B6-1AFE-4F60-A9DB-C1C62A00DE0A.jpeg

• Like 1

Ah,  that’s the question!  I should, I know.  But I will not lengthen it.  I’m mainly out to solve a problem.  I know that an additional 10” of board will improve pointing ability.  But I have other things to attend to, so it is low on the priority list.  So, not this year.  If I have the opportunity to “store” the boat for Ted next year, maybe.  Time will tell.