Deck Rigging

Peter Smith

I sketched out several different options for deck rigging until I made my decision. See photos. I was hoping to lay out the bungee chords so that I didn't have any doubled-up sections, although I decided to double up the outside lines behind the cockpit for running my paddle under them with a paddle float. The bow deck lines run far forward so that I can stow my paddle or a backup paddle. Having long perimeter lines gives me something to grab onto if I’m in the water and not near the cockpit, although so far I’ve only capsized intentionally to practice wet re-entry. To attached the chords to the kayak, I used nylon strapping with bolts that go right through the gunwales, with big washers on the inside. (That is except for at the bow where I cannot reach inside to attached the bolts.) I want to be able to rely on the rigging in case of an emergency; either for holding onto when in the water, or for towing.

I ordered the chording and strapping from The Skin Boat Store along with the nylon skin. They offered a good price and I like the colour.

2022-10-26 17.14.52.jpg

2022-10-26 17.14.03.jpg

2022-10-26 17.13.14.jpg

2022-10-28 14.12.01.jpg

2022-10-28 14.12.09.jpg

2022-10-28 14.12.22.jpg

• Like 1

Peter:

Thanks for posting. You might consider using hard cord instead of bungees for parts of your deck rigging. Bungees are great for holding stuff, but I found them to be too stretchy for paddle float re-entry. I switched to hard cord with toggles in native style for a more solid arrangement. I don't have perimeter lines, but I suspect that hard cord would also be better for that application.

Attached pictures of my Ravenswood show the arrangement aft of the cockpit and also the arrangement forward, which uses both bungees and hard cord. Both sides forward have bungees for stowing a water bottle, a pump, etc. The middle section has hard cord for holding a paddle as an stabilizing outrigger while attaching a spray skirt and (on occasion) napping.

Fair winds!

raven22.jpg

raven24.jpg

raven23.jpg

raven25.jpg

On 11/1/2022 at 9:03 AM, andy00 said:

You might consider using hard cord instead of bungees for parts of your deck rigging. Bungees are great for holding stuff, but I found them to be too stretchy for paddle float re-entry. I switched to hard cord with toggles in native style for a more solid arrangement.

Thanks for your advice. Brian at Cape Falcon Kayaks also advises for non-bungee deck rigging (in his video linked below). I'll give it a try.