Which Kayak Should I Build Next?

Scott Pettigrew

I know, I know...there's a FAQ for that!  Hear me out, I've narrowed it down to one of three boats and I'm looking for some opinions.

The Kayak will be used for recreational day paddling.  No fishing or overnight expeditions (most likely).  The primary paddler is 5'7" and 140 lbs.  This person is an adult so lets assume their weight will stay constant.  

I've eliminated the kids kayaks and the longer boats for easier roof mounting.  I'm eliminating Vardo because I've already built one, and although I love it, want something different.  The Curlew is nice but I'd rather not deal with stitching the fantail

I'm down to the:

Short Shot - because Jeff said it was probably his favorite design. Also, I'd like to try paddling a multichine boat.

Ravenswood - It's the right size and the hard chine is slightly lighter and easier to build

Ravenswood LV - Based on the paddlers size.  

I'd love to hear opinions from fellow kayak builders/paddlers.  

48 minutes ago, Peter Smith said:

I am 210 lbs and have a Ravenswood. It handles great for me. I chose it over the Short Short because I often pack the kayak around by myself and wanted less weight. The Ravenswood LV is much narrower and will feel tippy, but if the paddler is experienced, I would pick it.

Thanks.  The LV is narrow, but the paddler is only 140 lbs.  Is that heavy enough so that the full size  Ravenswood hull doesn't ride too high?

3 hours ago, Scott Pettigrew said:

Thanks.  The LV is narrow, but the paddler is only 140 lbs.  Is that heavy enough so that the full size  Ravenswood hull doesn't ride too high?

We are 70 lbs different. That works out to 1.12 cubic feet of water displacement. So I would expect the kayak to sit about an 1 inch higher in the water. I couldn't with any experience say however what the difference in handling would be, but the the kayak would be a little higher, so just slightly shorter and narrower at the water line. Whatever you choose, enjoy the project.

• Like 1

Scott:

I agree with Peter: Ravenswood LV. I think that a paddler weighing 140 pounds would be happiest with that. The boat might feel a little tiddly at first but, with a little practice, it will feel more controllable and faster than a bigger Ravenswood. Check out the picture of Peter (210 pounds) in his "launches" post and the attached photo of me (175 pounds), both in our Ravenswoods. Fair winds!

libertyswim1.thumb.jpg.9f59b3a3653d7573ca1ed41b83406a69.jpg

• Like 1

• 2 months later...