CS17 For Sale in Oregon (Not Mine)

Andrew Hawks

Educate me on the perils of fir plywood (assuming good  selection of wood and proper maintenance once built). I’m not a huge environmentalist but it seems a little off that all these boats start off as trees far overseas when I am surrounded by rot resistant trees here in Michigan (cedar). 

I used fir ply on the first boat I built.  I coated it with two layers of epoxy, but only glassed the bottom, & 1” up the sides.  Over time, it checked badly.  I spent a couple of months sanding it all down, filled the checks with fairing compound, and painted her up again.  C43E4D95-C1AB-46E0-B1CE-A1E2309176E3.thumb.jpeg.e3c2e9ad35d9b96759aeadad206c20b5.jpeg

She checked again!  I should say that only the sides and interior checked, not the bottom. (Zoom in on this photo.)
A6FC017B-868E-43AC-99F1-0E0A4966CCBD.thumb.jpeg.2a5d8552a046292b46d8869b9a8e09d3.jpeg

If somebody is looking to save a buck by using fir, you lose the advantage when you sheath it with glass & fill it with expensive epoxy.  Plus, you end up with a heavier product than if you just used epoxy-coated Okoume to begin with.