Spindrift 11 Nesting

stew joslin

Hi all,

Started building the Spindrift 11 Nesting version.   I have folded it all up, installed the breasthook, the transom and the knees.  So far everything is going along nicely according to the plans without a hitch.  I used the purchased full size templates for cutting all of the pieces.  I am about to install the gunwales and then the forward and nesting bulkheads.

Here is the part that I am wondering about.   When I measure from the transom to the nesting bulkhead center it is almost where the plans say it should be (Plans = 66 7/8...  actual 66 3/4)  When I measure the nose portion, it seems that it is slightly too large to "nest" in the aft section due to the thickness of the transom stiffener.  Am I over thinking it?  just move forward and it should work?   Or do you adjust the position of the nesting bulkhead forward by 1/2" to ensure that the two portions nest neatly without any overlap?

Thanks in advance for any insight.  

Stew

hey Steve,

You might want to start this thread in the B&B section of this forum.  All those who document their B&B builds do it there.  You will get lots of help and answers/ideas.

I built a 9 Nesting, so the numbers you quote mean nothing to me.  I can tell you that the bow, when nested is above the transom. So if that is where you are measuring from to conclude it doesn't seem to fit, I would not be alarmed.

When I was building my 11N, I was worried that the aft seats would stop the bow from nesting correctly. So I decided to install them after sawing the boat in half. Sure enough they needed trimming down. I don't know if that means my hull shape is slightly off, or is it quite a common occurrence?

Stew and Aphers, 

Thank you both for posting your comments! We went back to check the numbers and geometry on the S11N as we always do and in the process you helped me discover that we STILL have an error in the S11N templates and the kit with the aft seat. Aphers comment clued me into it. It's something I fixed nearly 2 years ago in the plans but the templates for some reason did not receive the update so I'm now drafting a correction email to the affected builders and hope to "save" some of them. 

To answer your question about the nesting bulkhead location, you have it in the correct place. As was noted, the bow sits well above the top of the transom so there will be ample space for it fore and aft in the stern half of the boat as you can see below. Depending on how far forward you taper out the keel strip it will sit roughly as shown. Just make sure your nesting bulkhead is "planar" i.e. flat in all directions when you put a straight edge across it especially athwartships. There is more than enough "wiggle room" for an 1/8" deviation from the plans in it's placement so consider it perfect. 

In the case of the stern seating parts as mentioned above, use the dimensions shown in the cut sheet located in the plans for the stern seat tops, sides and fronts. These dimensions are correct. The seat top in the templates is too wide at the front end and does result in an interference with the bow half (much to my embarrassment). It's ironic since we "updated" the Spindrift designs to 3d models and added a lot of detail to the plans including the shapes of these aft seat parts only to have this happen. The original plans only included their location in the stern of the boat and the builder is meant to frame them in and pattern the pieces to the hull as built as Aphers did. A wise move but hopefully going forward this will be put to rest. 

image.thumb.png.93cc44be060f06945815eddc8449b540.png

T

• Like 2